Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - brignac
I need a big family estate - to replace our fantastic Avensis est which at 10 years old and 150,000 is starting to feel its age.

The Toyota has been great and I would buy another except that Drive the Deal is doing 08 Vectra 1.8 Life est with 18K for the above price.

This seems like an extraordinary bargain. However, are they any good?

I am very keen on reliable cars, that are quiet to drive on motorway, cheap to run, and safe.

Will the 1.8 engine do the job, ot will it be worked too hard? Will it fall apart - I've read enough Vx posts on here to frighten me - although they seem to be for the diesels.

I wouldn't normally consider a Vectra, but at this price it seems rude not to.

Other obvious choices are Mondeo estate (petrol) Mazda 6 petrol.

We are family with a canoe to carry/ bikes on the back etc, so need some space.

Any advice, gratefully received, thanks
Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - bananastand
looks good to me.. you see 3 year olds going at auction for about 3k. And HJ thinks DtD are ok too. But then again what do I know? Ha ha.
Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - Alby Back
I had one on hire a while back. The 1.8 engine was a bit weedy for my taste but it was otherwise a fine car. Not bad on fuel either. About 36/37 mpg in general use and abuse. I could certainly live with it as a workhorse. Just wouldn't enter it for the Derby.
Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - Pugugly
Its a lot of car for not a lot of money - balance of warranty ??? Still be worth a couple of grand in a couple of years - have you ever seen a scruffy Vectra C ? Thought not. Bargain that.
Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - maz64
This one?
tinyurl.com/aoghlx
yes, the very same. Thanks for the replies so far - any views on the build quality?

Will it last - I'm not keen on spending my weekends at the dealer

Sorry I should have TradeSales in Slough - not DTD? Does that make any difference to a possible purchase?

Also anyone actually drive one of these models who give some real world views?
thanks
Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - maz64
Sorry I should have TradeSales in Slough - not DTD? Does that make any difference
to a possible purchase?

Haven't bought from DTD, but I have bought from TradeSales (2008) and it was a good experience. Car was a Mitsubishi, and the TradeSales guy seemed to know a lot more about it than the local Mitsubishi dealer!

Edited by Focus {P} on 27/01/2009 at 13:59

Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - gordonbennet
Can't go wrong at that money, its a huge vehicle, estates have longer wheelbase, and you should have sensible tyres on the 'life' which will give you a very comfortable ride.
I've shifted hundreds of these to compound, mainly ex rental, nearly all seemed perfectly OK to me.

Seem to be many of us talking petrol engines now where maybe 5 years ago we would have wanted the diesel in such a car, and Humph is proving quite conclusively with his brim to brim figures that running the petrol is costing the same per mile as the diesel.

Vectra estate at £5995 - any good? - NowWheels
Hmm. Prices are down 10% since I bought one for a friend only two weeks ago. Grrr.

But that's good news for you, because you can get a bargain.

I have driven about 200 miles in that car, so while I can't comment on its reliability, I have few observations.

First, it's huge: ginormous boot, and huge rear legroom. With the rear seats down, it's absolutely cavernous. Inside, it's cheaply made, but not offensively so. Everything feels strong enough, but the bits you touch don't feel nice: the gearshift and wheel are covered in leather rather than plastic and the knobs only centre console feel a bit tacky. Buts that's trivia: the seats are comfortable, the ride is reasonably supple, and it's quiet. The stereo isn't great, but it'll do unless you're a hifi buff.

As to driving, it's similarly relaxing. Light and easy gearchange, good visibility all round (except for trying to see the rear when parking, cos it's so long) -- a great car for piling up miles on the mway. The engine is no fireball, but it's fine unless you are into high-acceleration overtaking, in which case you'll need to use the gears.

My one criticism is that the steering is light and lifeless, which makes it a little harder to keep up a fast pace on twisty backroads. It's not a driver's car like a Mondeo, but if you are prepared to take it a little bit easier it'll be fine.

The only serious downside that I can see is its sheer size. Check that you are happy parking such a big car, and consider that you may want to budget for adding parking sensors.

One other thing: if buying from a supermarket, check that the luggage cover and luggage organiser are present. When we viewed the one we bought, the luggage cover was missing but the salesman assured us that it would be there when collected. However, it wasn't, and I had an most unpleasantly difficult time trying to persuade them to keep their word, and we still didn't get the organiser thingy. They cost hundreds if you buy them separately.