98 1.8 Diesel turbo loss of power and whistle - Eugene1za
HI Guys

Any advice would be great on this subject I'm a complete novice when it comes to cars so will try explain the issue as best I can. While travelling to work this morning I hit a hill and noticed the car had no power I had to gear down to 2nd just to get going I then switched off the radio and noticed the car whisteling when I put the gas pedal down basicly the sound is a mix between a fan and a drill if that makes any sense the sound only kicks in at around 2000rpm. I also noticed a massive cloud of smoke as i went through the gears but settled as I got to about 5th. Please help Thank you.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/01/2009 at 17:44

98 1.8 1.8 Diesel turbo loss of power and whistle - piston power
Have a look for any pipes adrift around the turbo/intercooler.
98 1.8 1.8 Diesel turbo loss of power and whistle - Tim Allcott
Or, if you can't find any adrift, check them carefully for splits: recently had a very similar problem on my Audi A6 and the split was underneath the pipe, and only about half an inch long. Very difficult to see, but caused exactly the symptoms you describe.
Tim
98 1.8 1.8 Diesel turbo loss of power and whistle - Eugene1za
HI There

Thanks for the help one of the clips that hold the pipes in had snapped so just bought a new one ,installed it and car is working like a charm. cheers