S40 Tyre Size - Victor72
Is it possible to fit alternative tyres to the expensive and uncommon 215/45 18 tyres fiited as standard to a Volvo S40 with 18" alloys? My Volvo dealer has stated that it's not, however a number of tyre fitters believe that the more common (and substantially cheaper) size of 225/40 18 is a potential alternative.

Many thanks.
S40 Tyre Size - Manatee
I won't presume to give advice as I'm not a tyre expert but it's not uncommon to use slightly different sizes where the diameter is near enough the same. If you do a bit of googling you'll find tables and calculators like this one -

www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

which gives the respective dimensions of different sizes and suggests that your speedo would read about 2% higher with the 225/4 because the circumference is smaller.

A wider tyre would also have to fit within the wheel arches but that might not be a problem with such a small increase in width and a sightly smaller diameter.
S40 Tyre Size - gordonbennet
On Camskills, the 215/45's are approx £18 more expensive than the other for Toyo T1R's.
I note that there are few Chinese ditchfinders available in your original size which is a good thing.

Before you go and buy the alternative size, it might be worth having a word with your insurer, the increase in premium may be more than the difference anyway.

Is there an alternative size shown in your handbook?
S40 Tyre Size - Victor72
Is there an alternative size shown in your handbook?

>>

No alternative size quoted for this wheel size, however the price of the 215/45 18 Toyo tyres appearing on Camskils site is considerably less than that of my current Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres. Do Toyo tyres have a good reputation?
S40 Tyre Size - gordonbennet
. Do Toyo tyres have a good reputation?

Many swear by them, a chap i know who rallies Subaru's being one of them.

I bought a set of Toyo T1R's for my MB, (they were on offer at the time at Camskills 225/45 x 17) the wet grip is astonishing, the dry obviously so, and no tramlining to speak of.

I can't vouch for cold weather grip as i run another set for winter but cooler wet mornings saw no wheelspin at all, a problem with the previous Goodyear F1's.
They do seem a little noisier than others, but not unbearably so, i would buy these again.
I would by choice have Vredesteins, but not always available in every size.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/01/2009 at 20:46

S40 Tyre Size - Victor72
Many thanks for information.
S40 Tyre Size - Victor72
Very useful information, and a 2% variation would be a negligible in terms of recorded speed. Thanks.
S40 Tyre Size - daveyjp
In my experience Toyos are far better than the Pirellis you are currently running.

When I change I usually opt for Toyo or Vredestein.
S40 Tyre Size - gmac
Why not post this question on the Volvo owners website ?
They will be able to advise you as to what fits the 18" rim or drop a rim size or two.

See: tinyurl.com/dd5kfm (Link to Volvo Owners Club S40 section)
S40 Tyre Size - Victor72
Why not post this question on the Volvo owners website ?

I've taken a look and it appears that this question has been raised previously; the consensus being that 225/40 18 is an option, the only shortcoming being (as expected) a slightly firmer ride.