Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - oilrag
Enquiring about the whole range of diesels - advised best not to buy any of them due to DPF`s and wifes ultra short journey use.
Top marks for honesty from the sales guy - who consulted the service manager while I was on the phone. But what a choker for a desperate industry that needs to sell new cars or face going under.

Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - L'escargot
If diesels aren't advisable for ultra-short journeys then they aren't. In the short term nothing can change that, despite the state of the motor industry.

At least you've been honest and said something good about a main dealer, and that's rare in this forum.

Edited by L'escargot on 22/01/2009 at 07:09

Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - ifithelps
>>and said something good about a main dealer >>

More than 80,000 trouble-free miles in the Ifithelps Focus must be due in part to six main dealer services.

Might have paid a shilling or two more than at an indy, but the car's never let me down, so I'm not concerned about that.

Thanks, ifithelps, you've confirmed my belief in having main dealer services.
Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - Clk Sec
I've recently had the 6th main dealer service on my Mazda, and I can't fault them.

Clk Sec
Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - ifithelps
Read a Which? report a while back which found main dealers were not always the most expensive, anyway.

Seen a few posts on here about consumables - wipers, oil etc - which are about the same price or even cheaper at main dealers than at factors/accessory shops.

Edited by ifithelps on 22/01/2009 at 07:41

Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - Pugugly
Read a Which? report a while back which found main dealers were not always the most expensive, anyway

Top up quantities of oil were always cheaper at BMW dealers anyway, usually by a quid or so.
Soz to mention it, Pugugly, but you forgot to put >> in front of Read a Which? report .........
;-)
Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - merlin
Yes main dealers are not always the most expensive. Recently had the cambelt changed in my Mazda 626. Main dealers were quoting £700-750. One independent who I've used in the past wanted ~£800. They did come down though when told they were more expensive than the main dealer down the road. In the end I went with one of the independents on the good garages scheme (First Car in Shrewsbury) coming in at ~£400 with MOT thrown in which I didn't even ask for!
Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - Jonathan {p}
Whoa.
My last cambelt change on my Mazda 626 came in at £150. including the belt.
> My last cambelt change on my Mazda 626 came in at £150. including the belt.

That's a great deal assuming it includes the full kit. Which garage was this or did you do it yourself?
Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - Armitage Shanks {p}
Took my 307 into my small main dealer yesterday. I had asked about the content of the 'Intermediate' check on my HDi for which they charge about £30.They said that if I could check fluid levels and tyre presssures myself there as no point in paying them to do it! It was in anyway for an EOLYS level check, at my request. They did some tests and found that the sensor in the filler cap was faulty; fixed while I waited, about 30 minutes, and I was in a hurry so they said they would put the bill in the post.A result!
> My last cambelt change on my Mazda 626 came in at £150. including the belt.

I should add that my 626 is the diesel - no idea if that makes a difference though.

Edited by merlin on 22/01/2009 at 11:23

Main dealer advises not to buy their new cars - Bill Payer
Top marks for honesty from the sales guy -

Not really - if you mentioned short journeys and they still sold you a DPF car then you might return it as unfit for purpose. VAG have quietly taken back DPF equipped cars sold to taxi firms.