Small(-ish), Jap(ish), used chain-cam diesel auto? - AllFumbs
I'm after legendary (mythical?) Japanese reliability, but wanting a chain-cam diesel auto' seemed to have narrowed my choice down to the Mitsubishi Colt. But then I go and read (in this forum) that it has an AMT gearbox which is unreliable. (The smart ForFour has it, too.) If I've had a narrow escape, my thanks to the person who posted that.

However, I'm still no nearer my small(ish) chain-cam diesel auto'. It has to have been made for quite some time so is available in sufficient quantities for its price secondhand not to be unreasonable. (I am, of course, aware that prices for good s/hand cars are artificially high now because people are scared to commit to purchasing new ones.) If it's not going to be Japanese, what would Back Roomers recommend?

Thank you.

AF.

Edited by AllFumbs on 20/01/2009 at 18:53

Small(-ish), Jap(ish), used chain-cam diesel auto? - Happy Blue!
Without doing any research at all......I seem to remember that the Hyundai i30 or Kia Ce'ed are both cam chain diesels which can be had with auto boxes.

Not Japanese, but surely with five and seven year warranties respectively, they must be considered pretty good on the reliability stakes, otherwise their manufacturers would not risk the potential outlay in claims.

Having sat in the Hyundai in the showroom, it had a fair amount of kerbside appeal, and I think HJ has done a road test of one or both of these.
Thank you, Espada III {P}: I've just had a look at HJ's tests and you're quite right: the Hyundai i30 is available as a diesel auto; and chain-cam, too. I couldn't cee whether the Kia Cee'd diesel is also available with an auto 'box but as it and the i30 are essentially the same car I would've thought it is.

My only concern now is that as they're newish models they won't be available secondhand enough, if you get me. (Don't want much, do I?)

Thanks again.

AF.
Small(-ish), Jap(ish), used chain-cam diesel auto? - madf
Yaris MMT diesel
Chain cam.

Edited by madf on 20/01/2009 at 21:34

Thank you, madf: wouldn't happen to know of any reviews of the Yaris diesel auto, would you?

AF.
Small(-ish), Jap(ish), used chain-cam diesel auto? - andyfr
The Yaris is MMT not a proper auto box.
www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/35168...l
uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/toyo...l
www.reviewcentre.com/reviews153276.html

Edited by madf on 21/01/2009 at 12:24

Thanks, andyfr and madf.

The reviews offer such contrary opinions that a lengthy test-drive seems my best option.

I'll have to pay close attention to the 'auto' gear-box; years of driving big old S**bs with the three-speed Borg-Warner auto has spoiled me, rather. (It's also emptied my wallet ? 27 m.p.g.! ? but hey, you can't have everything.)

By the way, anyone out there with personal experience of a Jap' diesel auto?

Thanks,

AF.
Try asking on the Toyota Owners club Yaris section.

toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=49

You will have to register but it is free.

It is mainly rather boring as a forum as lots of Yaris drivers and few problems means relatively little interest.