Standard exhausts. - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi,

Does anybody know if/where stainless steel exhaust systems can be purchased for a Vauxhall Vectra Diesel Estate. I'm not looking for performance exhausts (obviously), just a standard bore system - do they exist?

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Standard exhausts. - Tomo
I have put in an internet search, UK, for exhausts. It seems you can get a stainless exhaust for almost anything from a lot of people in a lot of places; which of them are any good is the question one can't answer.

Perhaps you should try Yellow Pages locally?
Tomo
Standard exhausts. - Dizzy {P}
I suggest you do a search to find the earlier thread on this subject where the various material grades and qualities are discussed.

I have had several stainless systems over the past 25+ years and the best company I found for quality and service was Double-S of Cullompton, Devon. They will supply by mail order. It's ten years since I last used them but I shouldn't think they've let their standards drop.

I always go for the standard system. These can still be a bit noisier than mild steel when new but quieten down after a while.
To save you searching, this was the thread I was thinking of:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=55...3
Standard exhausts. - Cyrill666 {P}
Thanks Dizzy...

Double-S - dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/drive/ybr82/

I'll look into it, thanks for everyones help.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
C.,

Another thought -- Diesel exhausts usually last longer than those on petrol cars so buying a stainless system may not be economic unless you plan to keep your car for a very long while.

Apologies if you were already aware of this!
Standard exhausts. - smokie
Twice I filled in the Double S enquiry form and twice it told me I hadn;t cpmpleted all fields - which I had. Each time the back button gave me an empty form, losing everything I'd typed in. Annoying...
Standard exhausts. - John Davis
Powerflow exhausts have a nationwide franchising network. I had a Powerflow exhaust fitted to my diesel and, subject to an annual inspection by the fitting agent, has a lifetime guarantee.
The Powerflow website will show you if there is a fitting agent near to you. See < www.powerflow.uk.com/power.html >
Standard exhausts. - SjB {P}
I'll vouch for Double S on my past experience.

Back in 1986, I fitted one of their stainless systems to my MG Metro, purchased through the MG Owner's Club. A few months later, the flexible pipe just after the downpipe collector box fractured. The next day, I received a replacement pipe, without quibble, and which was as good as new when I sold the car seven years later: You could hit any part of the system with a metallic object, and it would 'ring' nicely.

/Steve

Standard exhausts. - volvoman

This may be a silly question but since it's normally the rear silencer box that goes first, is it possible to have that replaced in s/steel leaving the remainder of the system in mild steel ??
Standard exhausts. - John Davis
"is it possible to have that replaced in s/steel leaving the remainder of the system in mild steel ??"
Yes, Powerflow will do this and cover the "lifetime"guarantee on the s/steel part.
I think that is a perfectly valid question.

The answer should be: "Yes, a s/s back box will fit on the existing mild steel system" because s/s systems are generally a direct copy of the car maker's system (copying of such 'must fit, must match' parts is allowed in law).

However, there could be a difference in the pipe wall thickness between the mild steel part and the equivalent stainless steel part, the s/s wall possibly being thinner. Also, the standard diameter of the stainless steel tubing used to make the pipe may be different to the original mild steel pipe diameter. These could each affect a slide-on type of fitting so I would ask for interchangeability confirmation from the maker of the s/s part before buying.
Standard exhausts. - Crombster
I have had the Powerflow on my Omega for around 6 months and already it is begining to rust, albeit only surface rust. Not quite what I was expecting from stainless steel!

Is yours any better?