98 2.0 ABS fault ?? - henry k
All was OK yesterday but this morning all is not well.
Engine starts OK and runs normally.

When reverse is selected and I gently ease out of my drive there is a slight vibration.
Select Drive or !st or 2nd and the vibration is much worse.
Vibration is speed related.
I have only driven it 10 yards backwards and forwards to try to gather more info.

I had a waggle of the driveshafts and they seem reasonable.
No warning lights on dash.
Did a manual check of brake fluid level - OK.

It feels like the ABS is being invoked all the time.

Next action?
98 2.0 ABS fault ?? - Dave_TD
Assuming your car has automatic transmission...
It feels like the ABS is being invoked all the time

Get the car moving (forwards or backwards, doesn't matter) then knock it into Neutral while still rolling. If the vibration ceases while the car is moving then that narrows it down to the gearbox and excludes the ABS.

Hth.

Dave.
Your good advice will be trialled in the morn.
Thanks
I went for a test drive this morning , just a few yards down the road.
Once rolling I flipped the auto into neutral. No change in the sound or vibration.
It certainly did not coast and came to a stop quite quickly without me touching the brakes.
I think this useful test appears to eliminate a gearbox problem.

Are there any other things I can investigate prior to having it collected?
Reading a little on the forum, perhaps see if teeth are missing on a rotor or clean the sensors. I am not familiar with the clever bits of ABS.

I have the Haynes but is not that helpful except to say my (vintage) vehicle should have a Bosch unit and
"Diagnosis of a fault in the ABS system requires the use of special equipment and this should therefore be left to a Ford dealer"

I do not want to be stung with "£500 for a new control unit SUR" if it is something simpler.
Just my luck that my local Ford dealer a mile away is IMHO the most expensive in the country for labour charges.
Just to add to my woe
My local Ford main dealer cannot help me. My car is too old. They do not have FDS or WDS equipment to diagnose my problem. Their nearest branch with the kit is a further 5-10 miles away.
Plus the receptionist calmly said "if its the pump thats gone it probably not worth repairing" .

Oh happy days :-(((
98 2.0 ABS fault ?? - Number_Cruncher
>>It feels like the ABS is being invoked all the time.

What *exactly* makes you say this?

How do you feel the vibration? Through the seat?, through the steering wheel?, through the brake pedal?

Are all the wheelnuts tight?, all tyres in good condition, and correctly inflated?

>>It feels like the ABS is being invoked all the time.

How do you feel the vibration? Through the seat? through the steering wheel? , though the brake pedal?

>>
Not through the the brake pedal as it is not in use.
Do not recall it through the steering wheel.
It is a general vibration.
I have only driven it a very few yards and at low speed 5mph ish
When I select N and feet off every thing it comes to a halt very promptly.
Are all the wheelnuts tight? all tyres in good condition and correctly inflated?

Yes new Khumos and all seems OK in that area.
Originally after having only driven about 20 feet, due to the amound of vibration I stopped and got out as I thought it was a puncture.
Vibration is speed related.

I plan to take both the front wheels off to see if there is anything obvious ( to me) like teeth of the disk or maybe clean the sensor.
Not sure re rear wheels.

It is just a bit irritating that the car needs to be transported to the dealer, as it is not driveable, before a diagnosis is made.

I just hope it is not a Big Bill.

Thanks NC. Sorry late responses. I am suffering www access problems.

Well now the weather has improved and I have time to think about things like the lack of an ABS light flashing I have investigated a bit further.

I have to admit to egg on face...
Front spring has snapped and the snapped end is against the tyre.
The break looks clean and shiny across most of cross section.

I guess I was very lucky that it snapped overnight while car was in the drive.

So the Mondeo continues.