00 1.8TD - Potential problems? - Laurence A
Hi,

I bought a W reg Fiesta 1.8TD a few months ago. There are a few small issues I've noticed since buying it:

1) One of the front wheels stuck out and was much lower than the other. This was diagnosed by the garage as being a dodgy spring, so both front springs were changed. However one front wheel is still about 1cm lower in the arch than the other, although the suspension does feel much better. Is this normal?

2) When the clutch reaches the bite when stationary and you haven't given it much gas a squealing noise comes from the engine. Is this normal? The cam & alternator belt had been (apparently) changed just before I bought it.

3) When driving over 65mph sometimes a 'washing machine on spin' noise comes from the engine. Its not very loud, but noticeable. On investigation I discovered the engine had too much oil, so got some drained, and it didn't seem to make the noise for a few weeks, but now its back. What might this be?

Any info/comments very much appreciated!

Laurence

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2009 at 16:41

00 1.8TD - Potential problems? - BenG
Can only suggest that the squealing noise might indicate that the alternator belt tension isn't sufficient, and it's slipping when cold/damp when the car is first started. Same thing used to happen with my old Rover 214, but only when cold.

As for the front wheels, could be accident damage I guess. Can you check the suspension arms/subframes to see if any are bent. Any problems might show up if you took the car for a four wheel alignment, which would also make your tyres last longer and maybe improve the handling of the car.

Not sure about the engine noise. Could be something harmless like a noisy/worn alternator or power steering pump bearing, the slipping belt again, or even a worn turbo bearing. The latter would probably be accompanied by blue exhaust smoke though as the oil seals would probably be worn too.