90 6 ltr Leyland Roadrunner - sluggish starting - coalman
I just happened upon your other post concerning a leyland roadrunner, and I'm hoping somebody can help me out as well, so I hope you don't mind that I've followed similar tactics. I've got a problem cold starting in the morning. The engine fires initially but then stops firing and I have to keep winding it over for about a minute before it finally starts. I don't know whether this will damage the starter in the long term, but its annoying when you're rushing to get off in the morning. The plugs seem O.K. and everything else checks out. Help please!

Edited by Pugugly on 18/01/2009 at 18:51

90 6 ltr leyland roadrunner - sluggish starting - Number_Cruncher
Check all of the low pressure fuel pipes and seals (including the seals on the fuel filter and filter body) for leakage, and the valves and seals in the lift pump - this sounds very much like the fuel is draining back towards the filter and tank. The fuel trapped in the injector pump allows the engine to fire a few times.
90 6 ltr leyland roadrunner - sluggish starting - coalman
Thanks for replying, I had wondered about the fuel running back. Do you think that a one way valve in the fuel line would help?
90 6 ltr leyland roadrunner - sluggish starting - Number_Cruncher
>>Do you think that a one way valve in the fuel line would help?

Finding and fixing the leaks will be far better than modifying the fuel system.

90 6 ltr leyland roadrunner - sluggish starting - jayeastanglia
have a look at the injectors little small fuel return pipes make sure no leaks as it does affect these engines and also make sure the fuel filter is clean including the small filter on the lift pump..also check the fuel pipe is all ok on top of the fuel tank as the plastic pipe on top of the tank can come off and cause a fuel/air leak.
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2009 at 17:59

90 6 ltr leyland roadrunner - sluggish starting - none
Try a bit of transparent piping here and there, bubbles = air leaks.
90 6 ltr Leyland Roadrunner - sluggish starting - Robin the Technician
After it has initially started then stopped, try loosening a couple of injector pipes at the injector end. Apply copious quantities of rag in the area then get someone to turn the engine over. If you get little or no fuel squirting out of the loosened nuts then you have a drainback problem. Check all fuel filter seals - replace if any look the slightest bit suspicious. If there is plenty of fuel, you may need to look further at glowplugs (if fitted) and also the air filter for contamination. Replace it if necessary.

Hope this helps

90 6 ltr Leyland Roadrunner - sluggish starting - mfarrow
I don't know whether this will damage the starter

I was once lectured by an automotive engineer who told me that starter motors are only designed for running for about 20 seconds before they start overheating.
90 6 ltr Leyland Roadrunner - sluggish starting - Phil A
Hi 2 all just read this I have just bought a 1989 Leyland roadrunner with the 5.9 l engine in , It is a horse box . Mine would not start from cold without a lot of cranking. On investigation it had a @ Start pilot ' cold start aid that by operting a dash board switch it then operated a solenoid on the above system which then squirted cold start fluid straight in the the intake manifold from under the lorry .
Of couse it is 20 yrs old and did not work, I pulled the unit apart but was terminal so scrapped it . So I simply re routed the thin plastic cable into the cab by the side of the drivers seat attached a £ 2.99 tin of halford cold start to the tube. NOW all you do it press the nossel in the cab for 2 seconds crank the engine on the 3rd second and the engine starts instantly. I could not believe the difference !! ,Engine now starts from cold at any temp immediately .Try this 1st before you pull apart all the fuel system I was amased at the differnce Any more help email me at phil.armitage @bt.com
90 6 ltr Leyland Roadrunner - sluggish starting - Kernsy0

Hi Phil,

I have this problem, any chance you might have photos of what mod you made to fix it? I'v been spraying some easystart into an airbox thing that sits in front of the fuel tank and below drivers seat side. Any help greatly appreciated.