2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - Exy
Hi Guys, hoping someone can help.

I have a 2000 Nissan Primera P11E 2.0TD which is binding the rear disc brakes. Initially it was only the near-side but has since overheated the offside also. Pads were changed about a year ago and were refitted with shims and copper grease etc. Pads are definetely not tight and the handbrake was loosened off. Is it the calipers that are at fault and how likely is it that both would fail within weeks of each other?

I'm at a loss and any advice greatly appreciated.

Steve.
2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - Phil I
Someone may pass by on here Steve but if not you will get an answer to your query here.

www.npoc.co.uk

HtH

Phil I
Thanks Phil, Done, hopefully someone can shed some light on my binding issue.

Steve.
2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - jag
your calipers are knackered! £200 per side for parts when mine went. jag.
your calipers are knackered! £200 per side for parts when mine went. jag.

Hi Jag, Bought the replacement parts today;
New rear NS caliper £70.
Front & rear pads (Ferodo) £30.
Bought a new fan belt (alternator) while I was at it £4.

Is it just me or does anyone else get a perverse sort of pleasure replacing worn out parts???
2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - piston power
Is it just me or does anyone else get a perverse sort of pleasure replacing
worn out parts???

Lol, only when saving a fortune on garage bill's!

Was the calipers exchange units?
Was the calipers exchange units?

Yeah it is an exchange unit but looks absolutely brand new to me and I mean brand new!

In a bit of a dilemma now, the NS rear was by far the worst culprit but after replacing the front pads last night I took the car for a quick run and when I got back the NS was stone cold but the OS was quite warm.

I have disconnected the handbrake at the calipers to see if that makes a difference, still can't get my head round the fact they stick sometimes then will be ok for a while then start sticking again. I feel a change of motor coming on.
2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - doctorchris
Oooh, yes, Exy.
I just love the slightly oily smell when I open the box of parts, then I lovingly caress the new components, feeling the silky smoothness of their shiny new metal, unsullied by the cruel actions of other men.
After fitting the parts I love to idly toss away the old components, then I roll over, light a cigarette and eventually fall into a deep, contented slumber.
I won't go into detail over the actual fitting process as I'm sure the mods and swear filter would have a fit but I'll just say that plenty of lubrication is usually a must.
Oooh yes Exy.
I just love the slightly oily smell ....

SQ

Sounds a bit like you need to get a room there Chris, LOL.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2009 at 12:39

2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - jag
exy, my primera was a 2001 2.0 petrol and exchange calipers were not available at the time. i'm off to throw a bucket of water over doctorchris. jag.
2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - stimpy
hi i have the same problem rear drivers side wheel binding and getting very very hot but some times it is ok but is slowley getting worse but the garage i normaly take it too havnt been able to solve it so im trying to solve it myself so any help would be good and if i find any thing out will keep you posted
2000 2.0D Rear brakes binding - alpem
My 2000 1.8 nearside rear brake is binding even after rewinding the piston cleaning up and fitting new pads. There were no shims on either side of both sets of pads nor any 'slides',(those thin, none rusting, sheet metal guides that the pads sit on). I know other cars that don't use these but is this right on a Primera? I think the caliper needs renewing anyway.
Alpem
Hello chaps, haven't looked back since I replaced both rear calipers. No problem with binding issues at all now, as you would expect.

I bought reconditioned calipers from a local motor factors for approximately 75pounds each and chucked a complete set of Ferodo pads on the front and back for good measure.

Jobs a good'un.