Great websites listed on What car web guide - Andrew Hamilton
My favourite is www.multimap.com that allows you to look anywhere in UK at a variety of scales down to scale 1/10000. Prints out super colour. Works on postcode as well.
The site rated best for insurance was www.axamotor.co.uk No mention of the budget site which suprised me.
Re: Great websites listed on What car web guide - Stuart Bruce
Have you tried www.streetmap.co.uk which I find superior to multimap.
The default zoom level is OS landranger 1:250,000 scale unless you are inside the M25 area (approx) when its at A-Z scale (not sure what that is) and you can zoom out to road atlas type scales. I think its also A-Z level in Brum & Manchester plus maybe some other big cities.

Also if you are travelling overseas try www.maporama.co.uk again it goes down to A-Z levels, not all countries though eg Greece.

From both these sites, and probably also multimap if you have places you visit at sufficiently irregular intervals that a map is handy just to remind you its possible to paste a direct link into your address book
Re: Great websites listed on What car web guide - Stuart Bruce
Sorry Guys, typo on the previous post, what I meant to say was the default scale is 1:50,000, plus if you put the postcode in it opens up at A-Z level.
Multimap image security issues. - David Woollard
Guys,

Have you seen the Multimap.com air-ground image pages. It happens in Cambs they have covered much of our area.

You can clearly see our two cars on the drive at home and the horse grazing in the field.

We've surfed round all our friends/contacts houses/gardens and the detail is good enough to be a real security issue. You can see where people keep their caravans/trailers etc and all the routes in/out of the property.

David
Re: Multimap image security issues. - daisy
I would be inclined to think there is a privacy issue here. Imagine a would-be thief checking to see when you go out.

Perhaps the Data Protection Act or Human rights legislation could be used against the people who are spying on you from a great height.

Daisy
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Adrian
I don't think there is much of a security issue here. A casual drive through an area would give better information as to whats what and where it is rather than relying on images which are in the main part 2 or 3 years old.

Adrian
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Bob the Burglar
Excellent for planning get-away routes too. Shows parts that even the local cops can't reach!.
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Echelon
But Echelon now knows who you are....wait for the knock.
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Nick Ireland
'Local Cops' - lucky you! What part of the country do you live in!
Re: Multimap image security issues. - ianhad
Just checked out both multimap and streetmap, multimap seems to want your house number to get a route, why? It also leaves out all the small local streets. The other doesn't give street names.
I'll stick to my paper maps thanks.
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Stuart Bruce
Sorry Ian, totally disgaree, streetmap does give street names put your post code in!
Re: Multimap image security issues. - John Slaughter
I have used streetmap a couple of times recently and found it to be excellent. Put in the address of a destination and you get the local map with the road you want indicated by an arrow. Then you can zoom out and get the approach route sorted. Great!

Cheers

John
Re: Multimap image security issues. - David Lacey
I was well impressed with all of the mapping systems - they could be a real help in our trade - what with collecting and delivering customer's cars (No house numbers, no street names displayed etc etc) Must be a real pain in the arse for the emergency services trying to find an address quickly......
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Gwyn Parry
Yes,
Similar here on having to find addresses on large estates, but sertain types do,
thoughtfully, daub there Wheely Bins with their house numbers and leave them in the street all week. Now that is an aid to navigation !
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Gwyn Parry
Yes,
Similar here on having to find addresses on large estates, but certain types do,
thoughtfully, daub there Wheely Bins with their house numbers and leave them in the street all week. Now that is an aid to navigation !
Re: Multimap image security issues. - Stuart Bruce
David Lacey wrote:
>
> I was well impressed with all of the mapping systems - they
> could be a real help in our trade - what with collecting and
> delivering customer's cars (No house numbers, no street names
> displayed etc etc) Must be a real pain in the arse for the
> emergency services trying to find an address quickly......

For those of us who live in the country outside the great metrollups I believe the emergency services can find your exact location quickest from an OS map ref. Might be handy to work out your house location and keep it by the phone. I am sure someone can provide us with a definitive answer as to how widespread this is, or whether its just the practice in certain counties only.
Re: Another website - Stuart Bruce
See what you make of this one! It is in Swedish but not too difficult to sort out.

www.tv4.se/lattjo/kojan/bilbanan.asp

Heady days before we could drive real motors.