04 1.9dci Performance problems at start up - kenster69
Hi my name is Kenny . I have a renault scenic 1.9dci and recently it has developed a fault which is as follows - After start up first thing in the morning, the car is very sluggish as it accelerates thru the gears (virtually no pulling power for a 120bhp engine) when it reaches 2500 revs in either 3rd or 4th, a warning light will appear on the dash "CHECK INJECTORS". Will drive to destination (usually 4 or 5 miles)with the car not allowing me to drive any faster than 2500 revs in any gear, and stop. On start up after that, the warning light disappears and the acceleration appears to be okay (can go above 2500 revs with no warning). I have also noticed that the car is losing mpg as it is now only doing approx 36mpg where as before it would do about 42 mpg. Have had car into local garage where nothing appeared on their computer. Glow plugs have been replaced and redex has been added to a tank of diesel - still no avail. Can you help!!

Also for note of interest, just before the fault developed, the engine coolant was low (above minimum) so I topped it up with coolant (undiluted as it air temperature was getting cold). Would this have any affect and allow the car to develop the symptoms as described above?

Edited by Pugugly on 07/01/2009 at 23:13

04 1.9dci Help to find fault - Captain Zetec

Sounds like it's going into "limp home" mode.

In my experience, Renault electronics are very troublesome and would be a good place to start. The problems are often caused by brittle wiring lombs and poor connectors (the most common cause of problems in any electrical system), so reseating the electrical connectors on the injectors would be a good start. If you know how to, checking continuity with a multi-meter would be good.

I have read of Renault garages replacing injectors (expensive), when perhaps simply reseating the electical connectors during replacement may have been been what cured the problem. Always good to start with the simple (and cheapest) stuff first. Have even read of mechanics soldering the connections, but that's quite extreme!!

04 1.9dci Help to find fault - Captain Zetec

Forgot to mention, I very much doubt that adding some antifreeze would cause the problem you describe.
04 1.9dci Help to find fault - bathtub tom
the engine coolant was low (above minimum) so I topped it up with coolant (undiluted as it air temperature was getting cold). Would this have any affect and allow the car to develop the symptoms as described above?

In my humble opinion (IMHO) - non whatsoever.
04 1.9dci Help to find fault - Collos25
You either have a faulty injector or glow plug causing it to go into limp mode if it does not do it when warm then I would suggest a glow plug.
04 1.9dci Help to find fault - kenster69
Cheers for your advice guys. I have a mechanic coming round on monday so if there is any joy will post the findings so if any others have the same problem, it can be passed on
04 1.9dci Help to find fault - BobbyG
Hi when I had a Scenic the same as yours I experienced the same problem.
It disappeared twice and the dealer couldn't find the issue until it happened a third time and I drove straight to dealer and they saw the issue and managed to fix it.

Unfortunately I can't remember what it was, but think it was, as suggested, injectors needed changed!
04 1.9dci Help to find fault - pbviva
Ditto.

My wife's car has exactly the same fault. Low power when cold, push it too hard and the 'check injection' warning comes on. Pull over, stop the engine, restart, and all is OK again (still no power though). Haven't fixed this problem yet but another cheap fix is to check the battery terminals, loose battery terminals cause havoc with the computer.
04 1.9dci Performance problems at start up - marion1961
Hi there, I know this thread was 2009. I have the very same problem , just after having a recon turbo fitted new egr valve and waste gate as well as a full service and got car back with no power and only allows 2500 revs and when it gets to this it says check injectors and then drives fine for a while. Could you let me know what the outcome was with your car in 2009. Thank you.