97 2.7 Starting Problems - Uncletom46
My 1997 2.7 TDI Terrano / Maverick intermittently refuses to start . I have changed the starter motor and the glow plugs and had a heavy discharge test done on the battery. The engine cranking speed never has been spectacular but after the first few turns of the engine it slows to virtually nothing. The last dealer to look at the problem said a new alternator was required as the output was low. Evidently he was not aware that the glow plugs kept running until the engine temperature reached a pre-determined level. Once the engine is warm the alternator charges at not far short of 14 volts.

The engine will start on a tow and will start using Easy Start (ether) but these are hardly long term solutions.

I have seen a post elsewhere suggesting a malfunctioning Glow Plug relay might be the problem but there was no follow up to say whether its replacement solved the problem.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has successfully resolved a similar problem.

Thanks
Uncletom46
97 2.7 Starting Problems - Uncletom46
Just a detail I omitted from my original post:

The 100 amp fused link for the glowplugs has blown twice. The dealer was unable to identify the cause. The link is currently a hefty piece of cooker wiring!

I don't know if this will help identify the problem.
97 2.7 Starting Problems - piston power
The coolant temp sensor if faulty may not give enough heat to the plugs via the timer.

The timer comes on for approx 4 sec's then off then repeats approx 4-5 times to the plugs when engine is started.

If memeory is correct it's a green timer unit and black relays.
97 2.7 Starting Problems - Peter.N.
Anything less than 14 volts from the alternator is not good.

Edited by Peter.N. on 07/01/2009 at 22:53

97 2.7 Starting Problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I think you have an accumulation of several faults here. Firstly your charging rate should be in excess of 14v, typically 14.4-14.7v, less than this indicates an alternator problem.
Secondly check the engine earthing, if neccessary augment the battery to engine and battery to body earths.
Thirdly the starter may be on its last legs, a slowly cranking starter will not generate the pressure and heat required in the cylinders to fire up.
Finally, if the fusible link for the glowplugs has failed this system will need checking by a good auto electrician as somewhere in the system you have a short to earth either faulty wiring or a duff glowplug perhaps.
Good luck
97 2.7 Starting Problems - robobone
i suggest you use this link

www.nissan4x4ownersclub.com
join the dedicated owners club and get some information from the guys and gals on there.
it may be more accurate