00 1.2 16v Oil Pressure Warning Light. - Herro24
Hello All,

Newbie to the forum and looking for some guidance! My Daughter's Punto sporting has developed a constant Oil Pressure warning light on. So far I've changed the Oil pressure switch, Oil and Oil filter,checked electrical connections ect, but to no avail. I've taken off the sump and cleaned the oil pickup strainer, but i'm stuck at the moment on trying to re-fit the bracket between the clutch housing and engine block on the left side. That aside, what i'm asking is if there might be any other causes to look at before i end up stripping out the Oil Pump. Other than the constant warning light, the motor is running grand. Thanks in advance.

Herro24

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/01/2009 at 10:23

00 1.2 16v Oil Pressure Warning Light. - mfarrow
It will be worth putting a multimeter across the pressure switch terminal(s) to determine whether it's a wiring fault before you start pulling the pump apart.
00 1.2 16v Oil Pressure Warning Light. - Herro24
Thanks a million for that. To be honest,electrics are a bit of a mistery to me! Can you give me any detail how to use the meter and what info i'm looking for from it? Again, thanks for that.
00 1.2 16v Oil Pressure Warning Light. - DLondon

Hey did you ever solve the problem?

I'm having exactly the same issues with the same car and year.

So far changed the oil, filter and oil pressure switch

yet to remove the sump and really want to avoid this if possible - sounds like a nightmare job for the 16V Fiat Puntos.

I've tried disconnecting the wire that goes to the oil pressure switch and the light on the dashboard remains on, from as far as I can tell it should turn off when disconnected.

00 1.2 16v Oil Pressure Warning Light. - DLondon

I have tried attaching a meter to the wire that normally goes into the oil pressure switch and it says 17.2 when the meter was set to 200k. So not exactly a full on short but there is a reading there. Someone else who owns a similar car tested theirs and got a similar reading, so I think this is normal for the car?