04 2.0 Screaming rear brakes - penri
I purchased my 04 TDCi 115 in Sept 07 and from the beginning the rear brakes would intermittantly squeal, but not under braking - if anything that stopped the problem. At it's next service in Mar 08 the local dealership advised me the discs were binding and so i had new ones fitted.
This seemed to cure the problem and then a few months later it started up again, so in Oct when i was having some other odds and sods done the dealership stripped and cleaned the brakes for me free of charge.
It's now starting up again and i'm wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions as to what it might be?
04 2.0 Screaming rear brakes - Captain Zetec

The brake pads on the Mondeo are designed to "sing" when the pads are worn. In my experience this happens while just driving along rather than under braking. Try replacing the pads if they look worn.

If the pads are OK, make sure there is a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads, and on the grooves the pads fit into. Be very careful not to get any grease on the surface of the pad or the disk. Also make sure the grooves the pads fit into are reasonably clean - these tend to corrode and can cause the pads to stick. Clean them out with the tip of a screw driver or a file.

Also check that the brakes aren't binding - Mondy rear calipers have been known to seize up. Jack up each rear wheel in turn and let off the handbrake - they should turn fairly freely. If they don't either the caliper is stuck or the handbrake adjusted needs to be looked at.

Thanks very much.
04 2.0 Screaming rear brakes - Paul G1pdc
When I had a 2001 mondeo (early mk3)
it was bought from a main dealer 10months old, had an outstanding safety recall even though it was RAC inspected etc etc...long story lets not go there.....
but had both rear brakes stick on....turned out to be a recall on the calipers, they where replaced free of charge.
it might be worth ringing a local ford dealer and ask if your car has an outstanding recall.
after all just because you buy a 10month old car from a main dealer with an RAC inspection stating "no outstanding recalls" it doesn't mean that its all up to date....
mine was dating back to when it was only 3 month old!!!!!
paul.
ex-mondeo owner...
oh if you handbrake points to the roof, theres also a TSB to fix this free of charge...
mine wouldn't hold the car until about 12clicks.....dealer said its standard on the car...
after reading similar stories on the NET. found a TSB number and a dealer fixed this for me...good luck with the car, they are superb motorway mile munchers and if it wasn't for my firday afternoon car, and poor dealers would still run one....
Thanks Paul, seems there's no outstanding recall. Wondering if it's temperature affected as it does seem worse in the cold.....

...and i concur about it being a great car, i really want to solve this and not get fed up and shift it on...

Edited by penri on 06/01/2009 at 17:16

04 2.0 Screaming rear brakes - Saltrampen
Check Caliper guide seals are on properly.
Sometimes cleaning/re lubricating Caliper guides on Mondeos gets rid of noises.
On another type Car had similar problem and dealer fitted new discs - problem went away but reoccured after a few months - eventually traced to a very small split in piston rubber only noticeable when piston fully extended off car (but enough to let in water and corrode piston).
If you take car to dealer again and they strip and clean it, ask for a full and thorough inspection of rubber seals - often it is a quick look to see if major bits of rubber are flapping around.
Check the handbrake auto adjustment is working as well.
Again, thanks. My friend was in with me the other day and he thinks it's coming from the front, not the rear. When this ifrst happened i thought it was the front but the dealership advised it was the rear so i figured it myust just be thew way the sound carried as i was driving along.
If he is right could it be a similar problem (obviously not discs.....)?
.......just had it back from the garage - "it's your front discs (what do i know) and pads sir"

so £200 quid lighter and the next morning.......still squealing!
04 2.0 Screaming rear brakes - swaneagle
Hi
I have the same model and mine started squealing about 3 weeks ago, it was caused by the handbrake cable not releasing the the hanbrake arm on the caliper back to its stop. It is caused because the handbrake inner cable is coated in plastic and runs in the outer cable which is plastic lined.
The 2 get dry and sticky and so doesent release the caliper properly.
You will notice when you pull the hanbrake up and then release slowly go to pull up again and ther will be no resistance for the first few cm's this is because the cable didnt release properly.
You can also look underneath at the rear caliper see the arm the hanbrake cable attaches to and make sure its back against its stop if its not its that side you have your problem.
I removed the cable from the caliper and forced oil mixed with deisel (to thin it) at 20psi down the handbrake cable and hey presto freed up and no squelling.
Swaneagle - thanks for this. If you're right i will be so happy!