1999 1.4 key fob stopped working - leighmt
I changed the batteries in my key fob for my renault megane e RT 1999 1.4.
Now the key fob wont work to turn off the immobiliser, the remote central locking doesn't work either.
Does anyone have any idea why its stopped working and what i have to do to fix it??
any help would be great!
Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2009 at 19:32

1999 1.4 key fob stopped working - Pugugly
Where they working before you swapped the battery ?
Maybe, just maybe the solution lies within this thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=70...6
Yeah, everything was working fine, just the immobiliser didn't always turn off first time i pressed the key fob, so thought I'd put new batteries in the key. (Wish I'd never bothered now!) I cant see any damage inside the key etc.. nothing looks like it needs soldered. The remote central locking wont work either.
I have tried several ways of opening/locking etc... to try to overide immobiliser as someone sugested and holding button down for 10 secs and then pressing a number of times... etc, nothing seems to work.
I dont have any of the manuals for the car or a spare key as i bought it second hand.
If you have any more help or info, that would be great!
Thanks
1999 1.4 key fob stopped working - topbloke
try reprogramming the key to the car or have you tried it already
How do you reprogramme the key to the car?

tinyurl.com/7cn48a

Try here - it was in the link I posted earlier.
I read the link you posted but didn't think it'd work with it being for a different model car, but I've just gone and tried it just incase it did but unfortunately it didn't.
It says to hold down the button and the doors should unlock etc.. but nothing happens at all when i hold the button down.
Does this mean that im going to have to take it somewhere to get a new code for it or would i have to get a new key?
Is there a Renault Forum ?
You have an e-mail - something I can't post on here. (he said mysteriously)
my email is
Any help or info would be great!

I know that I'm a Moderator - mail's gone !

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2009 at 21:25

Thanks! Im wondering if mine can only be programmed with equiptment as nothing at all seems to happen when i press the central locking button. Its worth trying though. I'll get back to you tomorrow and let you know if it works.
Thanks again for your help!
Hi there,
I've checed inside my key and there is a 5 digit number, so it looks like it can only be programmed with epuiptment. I've spoken to a few mobile mechanics and there seems to only be 1 person in my local area that can do it, He said it'll cost £55 and it would only be temporary, but can't tell me how long it'll last for.
Im going to phone a renault garage tomorrow and see what they suggest doing, and compare prices.
Does anyone know why changing the batteries caused this problem? And would it happen next time in the future when the batteries got changed?
1999 1.4 key fob stopped working - thomp1983
tinyurl.com/7umozb

follow the above link, it was the only way i found worked when i had similar problems on a '98 model a few weeks ago.

if you know the 4 digit code to bypass the immobiliser then you can just follow the written instructions, if you don't you'll need to download the zip file and run the software to obtain the code.

chris
Thanks chris,
I have managed to get the 4 digit code but when I hold the central locking button down the immobiliser light doesn't slow down at all, it just keeps on flashing at the same speed.
Did your light flash slower when you held central locking button down?
Will it still work if my light does not flash any slower??
just to check, you are pressing the central locking button on the dash near the hazard lights button?

basically, put the key in turn ignition to second click (all lights on), hold the central locking button in (on the right side iirc) and the light (blue on mine in centre of dash pod above speedo) will stay on for a few seconds then start flashing slowly, this is when you count, then release the button, then hold the button in again count next number off until you've done all four numbers, remove key, hold central locking button down on dash until light is constant again then repeatedly press the keyfob button whilst pointed at the sensor until the car locks.

chris

Edited by thomp1983 on 04/01/2009 at 16:27

ooopps! I was pressing the key button!
I'll go and try again, pressing the correct button this time.
Thanks!!
hi there,
i pressed the central locking button near the hazard lights and started putting in the code etc.. everything happened like you said it would. but when it came to pressing the key fob, it still wouldn't work. We tried putting the code in again and going through the same process but it still didn't work. Now the light doesn't slow down anymore, I wonder if you only get so many trys to put in the code?
When you were getting your 4 digit code, and you have to put in your key code, did you put in the number code or the letter code?? In my key I have 5 digits and 5 letters on a white sticker. I just assumed it would be the number code, but when i've tried putting in the letter code with my car code, I get a different 4 digit code.
I wonder if this hasn't worked for me because I've put the wrong 4 digit code in?
Any ideas what I need to do now??
ill have to check the key for the car abit later when my sisters comes in so ill have to get back to you, off the top of my head though i think it was numbers with one letter but as i said ill check to be certain.

you'll be able to put the code in again in a bit, if you get it wrong i just takes some time for it to come back out of the code entering mode so you can enter it again. once you had entered the last number what happened? if the code is incorrect then the light flashes really quickly, if it was right then you would be able to put the key back in and start the car.

another thought, have you checked fob is working? does the red light work when the button is pressed? if you've got one get a video camera, point the led in the fob (at the end next ot key blade at the camera with it turned on and you'll see it flash (i use the video camera on my phone for this)

chris

Edited by thomp1983 on 04/01/2009 at 17:31

Hi chris,
I got a new 4 digit code using the different key code with the letters, went through the same process.... YEAH!! IT WORKED!! Thank you so much for all your help!!
The only problem is is that I think the key fob must be broken because I still cant turn the immobiliser off with the key fob, I have to put the code in every time, the code has got 896 in it so it takes ages, ( wouldn't be so bad if it was 1's and 2's) but it'll do for now.
My video camera on my phone doesn't work so I'll have to wait till i see a friend tomorrow and I'll check the light on the key that way. I think it might be broken otherwise i should be able to turn the immobiliser off with it.
Thank you again for all your excellent help!!
Leigh
when you say it works, im assuming entering the code manually is bypassing the immobiliser allowing the car to start? have you definately got the batterys in the correct way, are they definately the correct batteries? now you know the right code have you since tried removing the key and pointing it at the sensor once you've entered the code? it took me a couple of times to get it right

chris
Hi chris,
Yeah entering the code manually is allowing me to start the car. I have tried and tried entering the full code and then pointing the key at the sensor but nothing happens, the key fob just seems to have stopped working, for some reason, when I changed the batteries. I too thought i must have just bought the wrong type of batteries as i just showed the man in the shop what i needed, but they are the right ones, I have checked and double-checked. ( exact same number on the front of them) I've also double checked the way the batteries go in too, ( incase I'd made a mistake there too, but I hadn't, got my dad to check for me ) there is a small light on the front of the key that lights up when i press the key fob,so assume the batteries are working, but the bigger light (near where the key blade comes out) doesn't light up but then I've never noticed if it did or not before i changed the batteries.
I don't know if I go to a renault garage if they'd be able to do a test or something on the key to see if that is definitely the problem??
Im worried that once I get this problem sorted out, if i change the batteries in the future the same thing will happen??
I'll have to give them a ring in the morning and see what I can do.....
Thanks for all your help, I'd have been totally lost without it!!
the led on the bottom does light up but you can't see it as it's infra red thats why i said about the video camera. the keys are quite fragile, i broke the led on my sisters and had to resolder it. another common fault can be water getting into the roof sensor but as you've only had this issue since changing the batteries id probably rule it out.

chris
The guy that had the car before me had a problem with water getting into the sensor, it broke because of that so he got a new one and fixed the leak. I have only had the car a few months and i have checked for water damage ofter, (just incase he didn't really fix the leak) But everything is clean and dry.
Im really confused as to what the problem could be?...
I'll get back to you tomorrow when i find out ( hopefully someone will be able to help at renault) Prob going to need to take out a bank loan though!
Wish me Luck!!

Edited by Pugugly on 04/01/2009 at 21:50

Hi guys, Well i took my key into a renault garage today and they tested it and something inside the key has broke and can not be fixed, so I need to get a new key. Its going to cost around £170 for the key!! Its going to be a few weeks until I'll be able to afford one, but thanks to everyones help here, at least i can put the 4 digit code in and drive it, So a Very Big Thank You to everyone here!!
there having a laugh, you could buy a key off ebay swap the key blades and have it reprogrammed by an auto lock smith much cheaper than that, i bought a spare fob for my sisters for a little over £5 on ebay, just haven't got round to looking into the programming side yet.

ask them exactly what has broken, the key only consists of a small circuit board which id say is very unlikely to just fail, a metal contact that can and does break but is repairable and the led which can also break and again is easily replaceable.

chris
thanks for the info Chris.
I was tempted to see if I could get a key from ebay or somewhere and try it that way first, (i'll try anything if it means it saves me £170!) I just wasn't sure how to go about getting the new code for it? Would i have to get someone out to do it or would I be able to get a code from that site the same way i did the other day?
The guy said that there was a small pin like thing that had broken, (when i press the key, the light stays on for longer than it should so this pin thingy was getting stuck) They said it couldn't be fixed..
I'll start looking on ebay tomorrow to see if i can find a key, might even try some scrap yards too...
1999 1.4 key fob stopped working - crog
You could try talking to this guy on ebay. He fixed my Espace keycard for £ 25. Worth a try! Follow this link.

tinyurl.com/7t56zf

Good luck!

I followed the link and needed a statutory rest period ! Shrunk as if by magic

Edited by Pugugly on 05/01/2009 at 22:32

I'll do it tomorrow, as you said its worth a try, I'll try anything to not have to pay £170!
Thanks!!
right ive taken a few photo's of our spare key for you (there not the best, combination of camera phone and photobucket editing),

tinyurl.com/8r6m2f
tinyurl.com/9k5akg
tinyurl.com/94twv7
tinyurl.com/9parer

the first is of the inside of the lid, (the back of the button you press).
the second is of the base of the key, the metal strip you see is prone to snapping or bending so it fails to make a contact with the batteries that go above it.
the third is of the battery side of the circuit board and the cover that goes over it (not all of them have the cover)
the final one is of the button side of the circuit board.

now if the strip in the second picture is broken this can be repaired diy with a bit of thought. in the final picture you can see the infra red led to the bottom right along with it's 2 legs that connect it to the circuit board, these are very easily broken when removing the circuit board, if is this that is damaged then a new one is a couple of pence from maplins and a quick soldering job, or you can resolder the original one.

i really can't see anything that would make the key stay on two long if it broke so not really sure what the garage are on about, if you could point out on the pictures which part renault are saying is broke then i can look into it further or at least the best i can.

chris
I've had a good look inside the key and everything looks fine, (metal strip, circuit board and infra red led) nothing looks as though it's broken, everything seems to be in tact.
When i went into renault place, I gave the key to a receptionist and she took it out the back for a guy to look at, when she brought it back for me she said he'd had a good look at it and He'd said there is a small pin under the button, in your picture 4, that had broke, that was why the light was staying on longer than normal because it was getting trapped when pressing the button, so it wasn't connecting like it should. They'd said that was what the problem was and that it couldn't be fixed.
I dont know if this info helps you any in what I could do next?
Leigh
Hi all,
I emailed the guy on ebay who fixes the key cards, and asked him if he'd be able to fix my key? He just said to send him the key and he'd see what he could do. not sure if he'll be able to do anything with it or not but thought it might be easier to see if my key could be fixed before i bought another key and had to get new code programmed in etc..
Im going to send it off to him next week, Wish me luck!!
Good luck ! Let us know and if it works give us the guy's details if he's happy for you to do so.
Thanks guys for all your great help!!
I let you know if he can fix it or not.. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!
leigh due to a change in fortune my sisters megane is now off to the scrap yard, your more than welcome to the two working key fobs i have if you wish?

chris
Thanks Chris, That would be great!. Its a shame about your sisters car. I hope she has more luck with the next one she buys.
Please can I have your email address so I can email you my address.
my email address is in my profile, just click on where my username is blue and you'll see it.

it's not that big a deal really, it cost £500 2 years ago biggest bill was a £100 mot it hasn't needed anything else really just a couple of tyres and she got £109 back from scrapping it and £46 on the tax so £155 in total. it's replacement a laguna is costing £415 with 10 months tax and mot from our uncle who has used it to commute from the uk to his home in the south of france so it's well looked after and hopefully will give her 6 months hassle free before she goes abroad to work again.

chris
Hi all.
I got my key back to today and the guy I sent it too on ebay couldn't fix it!
There was a card in with the key that said "Had a good go at this but no joy I'm affraid, Main drive for infra red LED is to low. Main Clip/chip is blown." (cant quite make out if it says clip or chip).
Im so glad Chris has offered me the key fobs from his sisters car.
Does anyone know if I'll be able to get the new code for this key off the site for the emergency override code or would I have to get an auto electrician guy out to do it for me??
Leigh
which code do you mean? the 4 digit immobiliser bypass code will stay the same, it's stored by the ecu in the car. you may however need to get the keys programmed by either an auto locksmith or renault themselves but it shouldn't cost more than an hour of their time. you should be able to get the new blade cut at any key shop.

chris
oh, I understand now, Thanks Chris. I thought I'd need a new bypass code with getting a new key.
I'd phoned a few mobile mechanics when I first had problems with the key and they were quoting around £70 to programme the key. Renault said they charged nearly £80 so not that much difference really. Its still quite expensive but a lot better than paying the £170 Renault quoted me for key and programming.
it's robbery, hopefully they'll do both fobs for the £80 though if your lucky

chris

Edited by Pugugly on 12/01/2009 at 23:10

Thanks for the key fobs Chris I received them this morning.
I phoned an Auto locksmith today and told him that I'd got the key fobs and asked him to come and programme them. He said that unfortunately not just any key can be programmed, I'd have to get a new one from Renault, had to be ordered with the chassie number. I have no idea why just any key wont work but im guessing the auto locksmith knows what he's talking about.
He said once I got the new key he'd be able to programme it for £50.
So apparently there is no other way around it. I'm going to have to pay £80+ for a new key from Renault!
Thanks again for the fobs though Chris, you'd have saved me £80, but sadly they are no longer any use to me, Would you like me to send them back to you?

Leigh
you can keep them leigh it's not a problem i have no use for them. i still find it quite strange that they can't be reprogrammed, i'd possibly try ringing the dealer and asking them now you have the fob and see if there's anything they can do.

your other option would be to find a local electronics firm and get them to fit your original data chip on the circuit board from your original key to the new key, that should work, or have them swap over the small microswitch which has failed on yours, or if you have a steady hand and a fine tipped soldering iron you could do it yourself

chris
The guy I sent my key to to be fixed said that the part on mine couldn't be fixed or replaced. I never thought about swapping the data chip, I'll try phoning some places over the next couple of days to see if it would work. I was going to go to Renault tomorrow and order a new key but I'll hang on a few days now.
Thanks for the info Chris.
i can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, it's just a simple circuit board, id ask the dealer if they can't program the fob first with the kit they have

chris