08 1.6 Stift gearstick moving from neutral to 1st - CM99
hello, i have a 2008 Ford Focus TDCI 1.6L (style), mileage of 13k. i find the gearstick quite stiff when moving from neutral to first. asked the local ford dealer who didn't think it was a major problem but said he adjusted / loosened some screws (?). that did not help. any thoughts? many thanks

Subject header expanded to include a brief summary of question being asked

Edited by Webmaster on 01/01/2009 at 23:46

08 1.6 Stift gearstick moving from neutral to 1st - bathtub tom
Is this only experienced at the start of a journey in this cold weather?

Most cars will display this sort of behaviour - I can hardly engage second at all for a few miles.
agree i have noticed it more in last 2 months [when weather has been much colder]. however, even after driving stop-start for 20mins or more, it still seems stiff - esp compared to my dad's octavia!
08 1.6 Stift gearstick moving from neutral to 1st - Peter D
Is it sfiff when the enging is not running. If not then either the clutch is dragging or the oil to too thick. Regards Peter
peter, it is not stiff when the engine is not running - so your suggestions sound good. funnily enough, it's only stiff going from neutral to first and it still happens when the engine has been running for >20 mins. do you have any other suggestions? many thx, cm
08 1.6 Stift gearstick moving from neutral to 1st - MikeTorque
1st tends to be a bit stiff in the cold weather, was it stiff during the warmer summer weather ?

Where does the clutch bite ? If it's biting too low down then it suggests it needs adjusting.