Different oils for different engines? - anthony
Dear all

I was just about to to throw out a bottle of engine oil (10/40) for petrol engines. I have a a diesel now. Is this oil no good for it then? Should I bin it?

Any help, much appreciated.

Different oils for different engines? - Pat L
I'd like to know the answer to this one as well, having never understood the difference between petrol and diesel engine oils!

Also, I have some unopened Castrol antifreeze which is about 3 years old. No sign of any sell by date. Does anyone know whether it's still ok?

Pat
Different oils for different engines? - Cyd
Diesel oil has to deal with a lot more combustion by-products than a petrol oil does. You could use the petrol oil in your diesel, but change it after about half the recommended change interval.
Why not gve it to someone with a petrol - seems a waste to throw it out.

Antifreeze has a very long shelf life provided it is in a sealed container and has not been mixed with water or come into contact with any other contaminent. A coolant engineer at Rover once told me he didn't even know what the shelf life was likely to be. He suggested 5 years to be on the safe side. Why not try looking for the Castrol website and contact them with the question - let us know what you find out if you do.
Shelf life of Anti-freeze - lezebre
I faxed Comma to ask whether their Coldstream (pet friendly) antifreeze contained silicates, and they came back with an answer (affirmative) pretty sharpish.

A couple of days later, I faxed again; thanking them for their answer, and asking this time what the shelf life of their Organic Acid Technology antifreeze was likely to be.
No reply!!!!
Different oils for different engines? - dave18
Local BP garage selling various grades of Mobil S and Mobil 1 has a big sign in front of them saying 'ALL these oils are suitable for petrol or diesel engines.'
Different oils for different engines? - jc
The main difference between diesel and gasoline oils is a higher % of detergent in the diesels to keep the pollutants in suspension.In the past,whenever I bought a new(seconhand) car I always ran it on diesel engine oil(in those days,Rimula or Rotella) to clean it out-better than flushing oil.
Different oils for different engines? - lezebre
I wonder if your using diesel engine oil in a petrol was more appropriate in pre-cat days. I should think that that the constraints of petrol cats might be better addressed by petrol engine oils.

Also, I have been tempted by bike oils for my 1.6i, but this is decidedly not a good idea, not only because of the above reason, but because they contain EP additives to make them suitable for bikes where the engine and gears share the oil.
Different oils for different engines? - keithb
Mobil 1 is sold in a 'Turbo Diesel' grade. Sounds like the garage can't be bothered to stock this and has put up a misleading sign. I certainly wouldn't take advice from a filling station.
Different oils for different engines? - volvod5_dude
>>Local BP garage selling various grades of Mobil S and Mobil 1 >>has a big sign in front of them saying 'ALL these oils are >>suitable for petrol or diesel engines.'

Dave,

I think most oils are suitable for petrol and diesels if the oil is rated for ACEA A and B then this is true.
Anthony,

>>I was just about to to throw out a bottle of engine oil >>(10/40) for petrol engines. I have a a diesel now. Is this oil >>no good for it then? Should I bin it?

Look at the specification on the back of the container. If the oil Is ACEA B rated it's suitable for diesel. ACEA A ratings are for petrol. If the diesel engine is a modern HDI it will probably need ACEA B2 or even B4. Best thing to do is check the owners manual and see what it says about oil.
Different oils for different engines? - John S
V5d

I'd agree with you - if it's rated ACEA B2 or B3 rated it's clearly suitable for diesel. The problem is that the oil manufacturers do market (apparently) specific petrol and diesel oils. I've got some Esso Ultra semi synth at home, rated A3/B3, but clearly labelled for petrol engines (well 'essence' actually as I bought it in France). I can only assume that some of these oils do meet the required specs, but others exceed them and incorporate somewhat different additive packages.

I suggest Anthony keeps it (as it won't deteriorate that quickly in a sealed can) and uses it for topping up, for the oil can, or gives it to one of his neighbours.

Anthony - Don't literally 'bin it' - it should go to a proper waste oil collection point.

Regards

John S
John,

I rang the Mobil technical helpline the other day and was told Mobil 1 0-40 is the same for petrol and diesel, no additional additives at all. The guy said they are sold in different containers to give the diesel motorist peace of mind.
Different oils for different engines? - John S
v5d

Well, well! Thanks for that. I wonder how many other oil manufacturers employ the same technique!

Regards

John S
Different oils for different engines? - Andrew-T
v5d - Are the petrol and diesel oil prices the same?
v5d - Are the petrol and diesel oil prices the same?

Anthony,

Yes they are at Halfords last time I looked, well they should be if it's the same oil.

Cheers.
Sorry - Andrew (not Anthony). Must get my eyes checked!