1997 2.1td Crankshaft Pulley - pepperdog
Can anyone help with saving my engine without a complete stripdown to fit a new crankshaft. This engine has completed 13400 miles and has always had oil changes every 7000 miles. However after shredding the auxiliary belt, I was informed that the crankshaft pulley was damaged and had caused the woodruf key to fracture. It was temporarily repaired using lots of loctite apparently to keep the car going until a decision was made as to its future!! Even though the crankshaft is damaged, would the fitting of a new crankshaft pulley, if possible, keep me out of trouble and keep the car on the road. I am a bit shocked that this problem involved an old traditional diesel engine and my faith in diesel longevity has been shattered.
1997 2.1td Crankshaft Pulley - Canuck
I had something similar happen to my 1996 XUD 406 back in 2003. The pulley came loose and finally fractured leaving the crankshaft keyway widened at 83,000 miles.

I asked the excellent experts here for some advice on what to do as clearly a new crankshaft is not really a viable option. I am sure the thread can be found.

Following their advice, I used the following repair method: clean up the crankshaft keyway, fill the elongated bit of the keyway with liquid metal so a new key fits tightly, then fit a new key, a new pulley and loctite the pulley on with a new bolt tightened in the recommended way.

It's 5 years later, I've done 61,000 miles on this repair and it is still OK so this method does work. The only challenge will be getting the pulley off at the next cambelt change interval which is coming up soon.

Personally I would replace the cambelt etc. at the same time so you don't have to go in that way again for a while.

good luck

Canuck
1997 2.1td Crankshaft Pulley - Peter.N.
I would agree. The 2.1 is a superb engine and normally very reliable but occaisionally problems do occur. As long as there is enough good crankshaft to keep the pully parrallel, just doing the nut up to the specified torque should suffice although what Canuck says would do a very good belt and braces job. The problem has probably been caused by someone not fully tightening the nut or locktighting it, after a cambelt change.

Peter.N.
1997 2.1td Crankshaft Pulley - pepperdog
Thanks for your advice and also Peters. Do you think my local garage could cope with this repair . I used to do a lot of car maintainance but now limit myself to oil changes and other relatively minor jobs ! Is this liquid metal readily available for DIY use or is it a garage trade item only. Again many thanks and my trusty 406 may have a reprieve hopefully----- after repair do you feel it could cope with 300 mile motorway trips