New car required - help please? - TimOrridge
Hi BR's,

A relative of mine requires a car to replace her old Vento diesel. She requires a mid sized car with liftback hatch or estate for the dog. The budget is around £1500 pound and MUST have a diesel.

I have suggested that she spends around £1000-£1250 to save a few £££'s back for repairs if needs be as it will be 8-10 years old anything she gets. She has her mind set on the Vectra B facelift 2.0 diesel turbo/non-turbo so a few questions;

Is this engine a chain cam?
Is the Di an NA engine 81bhp and is it suitable for lugging the Vectra?

I have suggested no to get hung up on one model but look at all models that in good condition up and 100,000 miles. I have been thinking of Mondeo 1.8TD, Peugeot 406 1.9TD or even Berlingo's or something from the far east.

Any suggestions or personal experiences?
New car required - help please? - oldnotbold
406 1.9 TD is a pretty good bet. Plenty at £999. Alternative could be a Primera, which came in diesel form.
New car required - help please? - Alby Back
Oh dear, I suppose someone has to do it.......

Mondeo diesel estate

;-)
Oh dear I suppose someone has to do it.......
Mondeo diesel estate
;-)

No that was my first suggestion, but only the 1.8 engine. I drove a works car years ago and while it wasn't a ball of fire, it was OK and did good MPG. I was thinking late X or W plate and they generally look finished better (wheel trims, fake chrome bits, body colours). Typically well with in budget and good parts availability I imagine.
New car required - help please? - Alby Back
I had an X plate one. Only the standard LX trim but very well equipped. As with the the later Mk3s I have had it was a painless car to own. As you say, not quick but easy enough to live with. Never gave me any bother. Only time I remember it struggling was climbing some astonishingly steep bridge in Normandy somewhere loaded up with outrageous quantities of camping gear, bikes etc. It went quite slowly up that particular hill. Wish I could remember the name of it now. Someone will know.

Anyway, it would be my recommendation. If your friend can find an early Mk3 they are even better. Even the TDDi is smoother than the old 1.8 and the Mk3s are chain cam too. TDCis are very civilised. You hear horror stories of DMFs and so on but that has not been my experience despite very high mileage and heavy use across three of them.

Yeah, I've included the 406 as there is literally loads on AT BUT are they better than the 306?. Reason I ask is that I had a 306 and sold it to her after and it was the worst car I owned bearing in mind it was and still the newest car I have ever owned (R reg). TBF I see loads of good nick 406 around so good suggestion. I will show her this thread after a few good suggestions. Also Almera good suggestion, I have a lot of respect for dull yet reliable Jap tanks.

Are we saying Vectra isn't a good as bet?
New car required - help please? - Mapmaker
I have a 1999 petrol 1.8 Vectra. It misfires gently, and has done for the last 40k miles and 4 years (since I inherited it from my father).

Nobody will touch it because the list of possible things causing it to misfire that are common problems with this engine is as long as your arm.

Many on here will swear by their cheap Vectras. In my view the existence of SO MANY different common issues is a mark of very poor engineering.

2004 Which? quote: "Disappointment on wheels. A slightly depressing driving experience and woeful build quality."

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=851

Save your money and buy a wheelbarrow instead.
Hello all,

She has shortlisted 3 cars which I have had a look at the exterior and they seem tidy outside with OK tyre life.

2002 (52) Kia Rio Estate Blue Petrol not sure of mileage £1950
1998 (S) VW Passat TDI Estate Green Diesel not sure of mileage £1950
1999 (V) Hyundai Lantra Estate Silver 105,000 miles £1495

As she is spending up to £2000 (now!) I would expect at least 4 years use with regular expected maintenence. Personally I like the Passat but I feel that on her budget it might be too much as we dont know the mileage or how it runs yet. The Kia is tidy and the youngest of the bunch and pretty much the same for the Lantra

Would you advise any pitfalls or ownership experiences of these 3 cars to aid her make a decision alsowhat we could possibly get away with haggling these prices down (what they are actually worth).

The "car lot" is a local independant dealer with all makes/models. What soet of warranty would she get and what dows it cover?
New car required - help please? - Mapmaker
Difficult. She is spending £2,000 on a £750 car. The Passat and Hyndai will be fifteen years old by the time they've done their four years' service. If she were buying a £2,000 2003 Mondeo estate (which is in budget and achievable) then four more years, yes. Four years out of a £750 car can be hard work.

Included in the price she will get no worthwhile warranty - though she can buy a similarly worthless one. One would hope that if something massive went wrong within the first month/1,000 miles that the dealer would sort it out. Beyond that, for a cheap car, I think you'd be pushing your luck.

Look for a dealer who deals in high turnover of cheap cars. These people sprang to mind. I've never used them. But they change cambelts and give a free 12 month warranty.

www.cheltenhamtradecentre.co.uk/19611/showroom.htm
Right..... She has bought a car, this one in fact tinyurl.com/8qejgl

We managed to get £300 px for her old car (P reg Vento , 160,000 miles and scratches and the odd rust spot) which we thought was really good and they have offered to change cambelt in with price (saving £100) so cost to change £1495 which I think was also very good.

Car drives OK and is clean and tidy inside. There are a few scratches but that is reflected in price.

Thanks for all help.

Edited by TimOrridge on 17/01/2009 at 18:31

New car required - help please? - LondonBus
MUST be a diesel

It wasn't in the end - interesting to note how things change.