97 2.0 Electrical Charging problem, Please help!! - jrpippen
Please can you help me!

I have a 1997 V40 2.0l (non turbo) with an afetrmarket gas conversion which im having electrical problems with.

I took the car to the garage because I had reduced electrical power while driving. The lights went dim (head lights and dash lights) and the ABS and airbag lights came on. After a few miles the power seemed to return to normal, but when arriving at my destination the battery was totally flat.

On taking the car to the garage we tested the alternator and teh battery and the alternator was broken. the battery was not holding any charge so we changed it. The car was fine, until 150 miles later when exactly teh same thing happened again.
While driving the lights went dim (inside and out) abs and airbag light came on for about 2 miles and the battery was run down at our destination.

This time we changed the alternator, assuming that it must be working intermittantly, and this time the car drove over 500 miles trouble free before the same tihng happened again.

This time we decided after testing both the new battery and teh alternator taht there must be a drain on the power or a bad earth. The earths have now been removed clean and replaced and for another 220 miles all seemed well. However about 2 hours ago exactly the same thing happened again. Lights went dim, abs and air bag light on for about 2 miles then back to normal. On destination the battery is flat.

If you recognise these symptoms please let me know or give me a clue eher to look next. Im taking teh car to an electrician tomorrow, but it would be wonderful to have some insight, or some idea of what may be the problem.Any help will be gratefully received.
97 2.0 Electrical Charging problem, Please help!! - jrpippen
Its sorted i think.
Something as simple as a duff conection from the Positive battery terminal!

What a Clown!
97 2.0 Electrical Charging problem, Please help!! - injection doc
does it have a battery supplied by a well known tyre & exhaust chain? if it is I suspect it may have a terminal converter pushed onto the battery to convert from a square to round post terminal. If thats the case I would throw away as far as possible before you damage the electrics. Its a very common issue