Part Time Mechanics courses - smokescreen
Hi,

Just wondering does anywhere in the UK (specifically the west midlands) do part time car mechanics courses?

I'd like to learn fully how to fully maintain my car (Leon Cupra), including areas like the brakes and such, but looking around the local colleges, they only appear to have full time courses for kids who have just come out of school.

Any tips or hints as to where to look? I'm getting a little fed up of relying on garages, as well as wanting to get my hands dirty.

Cheers

Edited by smokescreen on 26/12/2008 at 14:27

Part Time Mechanics courses - Ian (Cape Town)
Haynes manual available?

Not for this car, though the Toledo or Golf might be pretty similar ?
Part Time Mechanics courses - Rattle
Haynes is pointless at this level, I assume you are like me and have little experience? I am actually looking out for a basic mechanics book like you got in the 1970's I have a few of them but they are all 30 years out of date.

I did do a part time course once in mechanics as a sub course we had to do, but after 3 sessions it was still on about health safety I lost interest and used my free time to go do some course work instead. I was only 19 though.
Yeah I do lack the experience and certainly want to build it up, which is proving tricky.
Part Time Mechanics courses - Hamsafar
There are hardly any courses (if any) for maintaining older cars, as courses have to be industry relevant in order to recieve funding and the demand from industry is with current and future models and new technologies.
Most manufacturers run their own courses now. VAG is in Ruddington, Nottingham. At the EMTEC/Carter&Carter/South Nottingham College complex.

Also try...erwin.volkswagen.de/
for home study documentation (PDFs and videos), but beware it uses horrible DRM and you can't print the materials or open them on multiple computers.

Edited by Hamsafar on 26/12/2008 at 16:21

Mmmmm...
Is there not a haynes 'basic' manual available for general mechanical theory - how to change brake pads, filters, oil, plugs etc?
(ie, all the stuff I learned from my dad?)

Or has the new order of H&S made it impossible to teach folk how to do the simplest stuff? Or has technology advanced so much that it has to have a trained body to do the simplest tasks? (Thinks - changing headlight bulbs - yes, I've answered my own question on this one ...)

I digress... I am amazed at younger co-workers who can't change a lightbulb or fuse, who can't change a wheel, and find a screwdriver an alien device.

Smokescreen, as other posters have written, a lot of this stuff is learned, handed down, and becomes second nature. To teach it at a course, what with all the H&S and liability stuff about, would prove troublesome.

Sad. Incredibly sad.

I'm capable of doing the simpler things as mentioned, just want to get some more hands on experience for other areas.

At this rate I might need to volunteer myself at a small garage nearby on the weekends, to get some hands on experience, provided I can get past the H&S rubbish.
In the old days I would have suggested trying the Royal Engineers TA, RAF reserve etc...
You'd get to play with some nice kit, wield a spanner or two, and hopefully improve your skills, and get paid for it.

Nowadays, not such a good idea.

Maybe hanging about the local garage as an unpaid "Appy", or else look to see if there is a local VW/Audi/Seat owners club which you could join, and spend time with them helping out and learning?
You can have a lot of fun, and learn a hell of a lot, restoring old cars... and guaranteed make some very good friends along with it.

or else look to see
if there is a local VW/Audi/Seat owners club which you could join and spend time
with them helping out and learning?
You can have a lot of fun and learn a hell of a lot restoring
old cars... and guaranteed make some very good friends along with it.

Good idea. I've already started to hang around certain SEAT/VAG forums with a view to getting more involved.
Turn up with a sixpack, a set of tools, and a good attitude, and you can't go wrong!

As an aside - I am a member of HJ's forum, and have met backroomers holidaying here in Cape Town. The local motoring forum is equally fun - if I'm travelling out of town, I'm guaranteed at least a good drink-up, meet some good guys, and a lot of favours besides, through my involvement.
Likewise, there have been some memorable occasions when the Johannesburg and durban guys get together here in the cape.
And there have been some amazing mechanical feats and favours performed, for TOTAL strangers, because they are a member of the 'board'.
Part Time Mechanics courses - Number_Cruncher
>>I am actually looking out for a basic mechanics book

Look for books by V.A.W Hillier, or H. Heisler. Both sets of books are very well written, and will provide you with a good grounding of the theory.

The books used on day release mechanics courses at college, like Hurst & Whipp are meant to be filled in during the course, and so, they aren't particularly suitable for self study.

The books will adequately cover the theory, but, the practicalities of removing siezed fasteners, and rounded bolt heads can't easily be taught, and will test your enginuity. However, modern cars are much easier than cars of years ago in that regard (apart from notable exceptions like Volkswagen front suspensions!)

There used to be evening courses run towards a GCSE in Motor Vehicle, but, it's 20 years ago when I was looking, and I don't know if these still run.

That there were 3 health and safety sessions actually boded well for that course Rattle - it meant that you were going to go into the workshop and learn hands-on! You missed out.

Part Time Mechanics courses - ifithelps
Evening courses are available in basic car maintenance.

Often aimed at women, they cover stuff like where does the oil go and how to top up the cooling system, so might be a bit too basic.

Ask the service manager of the local Seat franchise - if he doesn't know what's available locally, nobody will.

He might even let you come into the workshop on "work experience" a couple of times a week.
Part Time Mechanics courses - Rattle
As some of you know I fix computers so I am not affraid of screwdrivers or multimeters, I have also plumbed in my bathroom with no experience whats so ever, it took me at least 12 hours to do it include fixing all the leaks but 6 months later not a single drip from my plumbing.

What also always put me of DIY car work is the reality is always so much harder, you need the experience or an experienced person to show you then I am ok. My uncle told me once how to remove and test the throttle position sensor and since them I am happy to remove it myself and remove and test other sensors, if I had not seen my uncle do it I would not have even attempted to diagnoe sensor issues.

All I have done on my own car is replace the air filter, replace the front number plate (actually a fair bit of drilling involved) and cleaned out the MAF.

I would at least be able to do my own oil as I don't always trust garages to get this right and diagnose suspension or brake faults. I would still get a garage do brake or suspension work but at least I can go in saying could you replace the lower arm offside front bushes etc instead of my suspension is making a funny noise whats wrong with it.

This is why the theory becomes so important. I will look at those books you have suggested.

I was very proud of my repair on a broken down Ka once, I diagnoses the throttle assembly had come away from the injectiom system due to a loose bolt which was lost, I repaired it using elastic bands until my friend could drive to a garage which was 10 miles away.

Even modern cars its not really a lot different ok it now has sensors and computers but the systems are often fairly simple it is only when you get a car with all those brake sensors and goodness knows what else it starts to get very complicated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/12/2008 at 19:34