02 2.0 cambelt snapped, engine change info needed - James_dbrz
Hello and merry christmas to one and all,
Coming up the motorway yesterday my cambelt decided that was it, and snapped on me at around 3000 rpm. I am asuming at the moment the valves will be bent and some other things trashed. I would therefore like to ask if i get a replacement engine what do i need to just plug and play. Do i need the ECU for the new engine or will mine be fine etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies to this topic.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/12/2008 at 16:59

02 2.0 cambelt snapped, engine change info needed - Peter.N.
Assuming this is an HDI engine with rockers, it could be that just the rocker arms are broken, take the cover off and investigate before you start thinking about another engine.
Yes it is an hdi engine,so you think a repair could be possible? I asume the best course of action is engine out head off? How much would the valves cost if damaged? Would the tops of the pistons also be damaged?
You can change the rockers without removing the head. If you do have valve damage an engineering firm could charge £200-300 to repair the head, its unlikely that the pistons would be severly damaged. If you are lucky, you might just get away with replacing the broken rockers, you cando that with the engine and head in situ.
Thanks for the replies so far. I am expecting the car to be returned to me tomorrow so i will have the rocker cover off and have a look. Shall i remove the head as well to check the valves or is there a way to do this with the head on?
02 2.0 cambelt snapped, engine change info needed - mfarrow
Simplest way to check for valve damage if the rockers don't appear bent is to remove the rockers/shaft and see if all valve heads return to the same height (near enough) using a steel rule.
OK, thanks for the reply. I will report back tomorrow when i have surveyed the damage.
Hi Guys i have just had the car back and stripped it down to survey the damage. Right it would seem the fan belt cam loose and rubbed through the cam belt covers. The the cam belt grabbed hold of the fan belt and pulled it in to the cam belt. A large amount of fan belt was found around the cam belt pulley this cased the belt to jam. which then pulled the belt from its tensioners and all of the rocker arm are destroyed. It seems at the moment though that the valves are ok. Compression is good on all cylinders and the valves are not sticking. Am I either very lucky or very unlucky or both?
You could well be lucky. The valve gear is similar to that used on the 2.1 engine, which I run, and you can often get away with just the rockers on that. I have never had one break so I glean this information from others that have.

Edited by Peter.N. on 04/01/2009 at 16:10

Well the car is now running fine a big thanks to all who comented in this thread especially Peter N.

Just for info i had, 8 Broken rockers, key snapped on cam pulley, cam belt housing burn through where belts slipped, no bent valves.
02 2.0 cambelt snapped, engine change info needed - Masonator
Hello there,
Could you tell me whether you need to remove the timing belt to complete this repair?
Cheers
Andrew
02 2.0 cambelt snapped, engine change info needed - steve_earwig
Cam belt = timing belt. Standard practice is to replace it once it's snapped so yes (I have a feeling that's not what you meant)
Sorry, looking back it was pretty ambiguous. I meant do you have to take the timing belt off to remove the camshaft. I'm assuming the shaft is actually attached to the sprocket and isn't interference fit.
Also, if there is anything anyone would recommend changing whilst I have her stripped out.
Cheers and all the best.
Andrew
02 2.0 cambelt snapped, engine change info needed - steve_earwig
Haynes says you need to take it off, I suppose they consider you'll never line it all up and fit it back on whilst fighting the tensioner. You could try it I suppose, line everything up before you start in case it all goes pear-shaped. It doesn't appear to be an interference fit.

You should replace the chocolate crankshaft pulley, if it's not been done in a while.

If you don't mind me asking, why?
Tearing into one this weekend. Just wanted a heads up with what i was getting in to, cheers for the advice. All the best.

Andrew