MOT reminder - smokie
It wasn't until the road tax reminder arrived this morning that I realised my MOT ran out in February.

At least I will know in future that when the road tax reminder comes in, it's time to get an MOT.

I guess that'd have been points and a fine if I'd been caught...
MOT reminder - volvoman

My MOT garage sends me a reminder automatically about 6 weeks before the due date. It's good business for them and avoids the sort of predicament you found yourself in. Why not suggest such a system to your garage ?
MOT reminder - Pugugly {P}
Fine , no points.........worst thing though Insurance Co. may have a neat get out clause if you pranged it.
MOT reminder - Mark (RLBS)
>>.........worst thing though Insurance Co. may have a neat get out clause if you pranged it.

Not likely. Not actually having an MOT doesn't usually invalidate your insurance. However, if there was any reason why it would not pass an MOT, then that would have a major effect. And bear in mind, if you were needing to prove such a thing, it would probably be the most stringent MOT you could conceive of.

Having said that, you do need to check your own insurance because the wording was beginning to change.
MOT reminder - BrianW
It's too easy to overlook the MOT if the date is not co-terminal, or thereabouts, with the tax.
Surely DVLA should be linking the two and sending reminders?
MOT reminder - The Watcher
Sorry to appear pedantic but shouldn't you check the 'currency' of your road tax, insurance and mot on a regular basis so you don't forget?

And if you forget the mot, what about the checks you're supposed to do on the car such as lights, tyre pressure and washer bottle etc?
MOT reminder - <0.One%
Smokie: as you have access to a computer, the problem is easily solved.

a) You will probably have a built in Scheduler/calendar/Filofax type of utility program which can be used to pop up reminders about birthdays/anniversaries/MOTs etc.

b) Failing that, some car web-sites allow you to input your reminders for MOTs, insuarance, services, etc. Eg. the RAC has such a facility at www.rac.co.uk/myrac

c) If, you so ot have a), You can download freeware utility programs that have these functions from

www.tucows.com/ or www.zdnet.co.uk/

I hope this helps.
MOT reminder - <0.One%
Typo correction: In my post above

c) If, you do not have a), You can download freeware utility programs that have these functions from

www.tucows.com/ or www.zdnet.co.uk/
MOT reminder - smokie
Thanks to all, plans are already in place to avoid a recurrence. Firstly it now coincides with road tax reminder (the new MOT is from today, not backdated), secondly it has gone into the household calendar maintained by SWMBO and lastly yes, I have scheduled it into Outlook.

Two years ago I completely forgot our wedding anniversary (no. 24). SWMBO loved it, I haven't lived it down yet. She told the kids not to remind me, and even waited until the evening to give me my card, just to give me no get-out clause. Funnily enough, the anniversary is end Aug too, so I can take the tax reminder as a reminder for anniv too!

Car checks get done regularly of course, as they are "technical tinkering" which gives me much more pleasure than filling in forms and writing cheques.

MOT reminder - Cyd
A female friend of a friend at uni under inquisition by Plod, duly produced her insurance. When asked where her tax disc was, said she was a student and didn't earn enough to be taxed. When asked for the MoT she replied "what's an MoT?". On this occasion Dibble WAS amused and he helped her sort it all out.
MOT reminder - PB
Two things:
Years ago I had a 'producer' on my bike, and the MOT had run out a couple of months before. I got it MOTed then went to the station with the docs and said I hadn't realised, but look, I just got it MOTed. Sensibly they said fair enough, no problem.

Also, there is an ongoing project to computerise and link all MOT stations. So MOT reminders could be sent out in the future.
MOT reminder - Flat in Fifth
Might have told this tale before but can't find it in search so here we go.

Yonks ago mate got a pull with subsequent "producer." Only trouble was MOT had expired.

What to do? Until he noticed that it was obvious the copper had had a watch with mechanical date indicator, and as the pull was approaching midnight it had clicked over early to the next day which was the date written down on the icket. So in effect matey hadn't been stopped yet. Thankfully it passed.

Funnily enough mate ended up working for the Met.
MOT reminder - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Guy at the rugby club bought a used car with no tax.

We're stopped by rozzers on the way to an away match who ask where the disc is. Must be on the floor he says.

We help out by pretending to search for the non existant tax disc.

...and find one!!!

Yep, valid tax disc under the mat.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.