00 2.0 Engine Diagnostic warning light keeps comin - gerbil
I have a Peugeot 306 2.0 Hdi (W reg) and I must say I am quite attached to my car, (probably a girl thing). Since September it has been to the Peugeot dealers 6 times because of the Engine Diagnostic light coming on, also the 'symptoms' have been minor, varied and intermittent, including, a reluctance to pull away on first drive after light comes on and running away without foot on accelerator, other times there's nothing to indicate a problem except that it doesn't 'feel' quite right. First time they said it was the throttle sensor, and they 'fixed' it. Then it went back, apparently it was a different fault and apparently they fixed it. Then the 3rd time they said they'd repaired it under warranty because the part was at fault, same again the 4th time. The 5th time they said it was a wiring problem, and the 6th time they said the wiring that was fixed last time had been done wrong and apologised. Then I got a phonecall to say that if it came on again (which it has) then it would need a new wiring loom at a cost of £1200. I really would like to know if this is a) an accurate analysis of the problem b) a reasonable price for it to be rectified c) worth getting fixed considering the value of the car. Any ideas?
00 2.0 Engine Diagnostic warning light keeps comin - dieselbob
Im no expert but i would say no to a, probably not to b, or c. Try another local dealer. This fault must have stored fault codes with the cars ecu which could explain a lot to a professional eye. The real problem with your car is that the people your expecting to repair obviously dont really know what is wrong with it.
00 2.0 Engine Diagnostic warning light keeps comin - Rattle
I know this is more simple, but on my old MK3 Fiesta I had a throttle position sensor fault. I tested the TPS and it was fine, so I then wiggeled the wire, reset ECU, wiggle wire and the fault eventually cleared. I just spliced the faulty wire out and replaced it. Worked fine since.

So even if it is a faulty wiring loom I am sure some competetent garage could repair your existing one, or source a good second hand one. £1200 for a bit of wiirng is out regious, when will manufactures learn that they cannot keep getting away with this?

Anyway I hope you have not spent a lot so far. The problem with ECU readers is the code is only a clue, as in my case it pointed to a faulty throttle position sensor, but when I tested the resistance on that it seemed fine, hence fidning the faulty wire.

I am not a mechanic, I can't even replace spark plugs, but if I managed to fix this faulty wire I am sure mechanics can even if your engine is lot more complicated.

Sorry if I am barking up the wrong tree here....
00 2.0 Engine Diagnostic warning light keeps comin - Javalin
take it somewhere else, get the fault codes read and post them here....

Then as rattle says - we'll have some clues. Otherwise it could be 100's of things I suspect....

Its a shame the dealers don't seem to be able / want to fix awkward problems - just replace large expensive parts of the car until it goes away...! Sign of the recent times I wonder? I mean - somebody has to pay for the large glass showroom?

James

Edited by Javalin on 19/12/2008 at 10:20

00 2.0 Engine Diagnostic warning light keeps comin - gerbil
thanks to everybody who has responded to my post, obviously between work, Christmas and new year, getting it sorted is probably going to take a little longer than usual but at least all the suggestions give me a clue where to start. Even if it means a new car for Christmas!!
00 2.0 Engine Diagnostic warning light keeps comin - Driver
Hi Gerbil,

I have a peugeot 306HDI and I have been having the same problem, did you fix it?