Removing points from licence - Focus1.8TDCi
I got 3 points in 2003 and now 5 years have passed so I don't need to declare it on my insurance. But to actually get them removed, you need to apply to dvla and pay a fee of around £30. I was wondering what is benefit of doing this apart from having your licence show no points? May be if you have a job which requires a clean licence?
Removing points from licence - NowWheels
Maybe so that when Mr Plod stops you for a marginal infringement of the Highway Code, and you show you him your license, it doesn't shout "previous offender" at him.
Removing points from licence - Nsar
Don't carry your licence round with you if you're worried about that.

A spent penalty of 3 points that's 5 years old = a clean licence. An employer who tried to say otherwise is either thick or dodgy and how many actually want to see the thing?

Removing points from licence - Harleyman
I'm sure a serving officer will correct me on this one, but as a former employment agency consultant, I was taught that under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act prospective employers are bound by law to ignore expired convictions.
Removing points from licence - kithmo
Maybe so that when Mr Plod stops you for a marginal infringement of the Highway
Code and you show you him your license it doesn't shout "previous offender" at him.

But cameras don't stop you and look at your license, you've got more chance of seeing a UFO than a traffic plod.
Total waste of money IMO getting points removed, anyone who sees them on your licence will know they are no longer valid and ignore them anyway. I still have an SP50 (85mph on the motorway on a quiet Sunday morning) on my paper licence from 2000 and I'll be damned if I'm going to fork out for a photocard license (and again every 10 years hence) just so as I can look at my license and see it's clean.
I'll be damned if I'm going to fork out for a photocard license
(and again every 10 years hence) just so as I can look at my license
and see it's clean.

In which case we'll see you down there, because all licences will be photocard within a few years whether you like it or not!
Removing points from licence - midlifecrisis
Maybe so that when Mr Plod stops you for a marginal infringement of the Highway
Code and you show you him your license it doesn't shout "previous offender" at him.

Doesn't make the slightest difference.
Removing points from licence - Mr X
So you pay your speeding fine, your court costs, your victims levy and even an increase in insurance premium in some cases.... and still some body wants to punish you for a few more bob, in this case the DVLA.
Removing points from licence - Focus1.8TDCi
"Total waste of money IMO getting points removed"

Thats what I thought. I've never been stopped by the police and even if I did it would be for something trivial light brake lights.

I don't carry my licence with me in the car (do you have to?).

I'll leave the points on, couldn't care less. In what situation would expired points be held against you?

When will it be compulsory to have photo id licences? I still have he paper one.
I don't carry my licence with me in the car (do you have to?).
I'll leave the points on couldn't care less. In what situation would expired points be
held against you?
When will it be compulsory to have photo id licences? I still have he paper
one.

1) No, it's not a legal requirement, but I always carry the plastic bit of mine as it's useful ID. As I'm a lorry driver I am subjecy to spot-checks by VOSA too, and they like to see you carrying your licence.

2) Expired points cannot be held against you, as stated above (Rehabilitation of Offenders Act)

3) I don't know when it will finally be compulsory, but I had heard that the EU (whose bright idea this was) have been pushing the British government to get its finger out on this matter.

Out of interest; have any BR members had problems in Europe if they haven't yet converted to photocard licence?
Removing points from licence - horsepower
I handed in my paper licence for an address change, a wee while (cough) ago. I got a letter back demanding I send in a photo for a photo licence. Well, never quite got around to that, never needed to.
Then I needed to hire a minibus in a hurry, and the hire company needed my licence. Panic!!!! But not really, all they did was phone some number, I had to confirm usual details, date of birth etc, they quoted back details of my licence, when it was issued, sections covered, lack of points etc, took 2 minutes. Hire company was happy, I got a minibus for 24hrs :)
Who needs physical licences anyway?
Removing points from licence - Ian (Cape Town)
With the rise of identity theft, which I keep reading about, maybe NOT such a bad idea to get yourself a photo ID/license?
Before some criminal vermin applies for one, using YOUR details and HIS photo?

I know there are some perceived human rights issues involved, but as the sadly-missed Growler once stated, if you have a passport, chequebook, NI Number, mortgage, bank account etc etc etc, all your details exist on some big brother computer anyway...

To be honest, I've found having photographic proof of my identity (drivers license) very useful on a number of occasions.

Removing points from licence - NowWheels
So you pay your speeding fine your court costs your victims levy and even an
increase in insurance premium in some cases.... and still some body wants to punish you
for a few more bob in this case the DVLA.

Nobody forces you to have the expired record removed from your licence; if you want to keep them until renewal, you can do so.
Removing points from licence - rtj70
I have some points on my licence that expired a long time ago. They will be ten years old in March. I had to produce my licence and give a statement due to an accident and the same licence was shown. On tape the officer said no points or words to that effect when clearly there were expired points.

So to the OP save your money and not bother. They don't count.

Mine will probably go when we eventually decide to move.
Removing points from licence - smokie
I had expired offences on my paper licence when I appeared in court for speeding (some years ago I hasten to add!). Clerk of Court looked at my licence up as she was introducing me (or maybe laying the charge, or whatever it's called) and stated that I had a clean licence.

I only changed it recently, cos I want a photo ID and that seemed a convenient and widely recognised one.
Removing points from licence - Dynamic Dave
Still have 2 points on my licence from an offence I committed back in 1985 (riding a 100cc motorbike without group D on my licence). Does it bother me that they're still on there? Nope, not one bit.
Removing points from licence - freddy1
save your money , send the licence away with your perents address as your abode (perfectly legal ,,,if you can be contacted) , when you get your freeby , move back to your home address, and reapply from there

give this goverment nothing
Removing points from licence - rtj70
"save your money , send the licence away with your perents address as your abode (perfectly legal if you can be contacted)"

Save your money and do nothing. Doing the above will waste all our money (the tax payer). And putting the parents address on it isn't totally legal although you would probably get away with it.

Technically your licence is clean - mine will go next year when I have to renew the photo on it.
Removing points from licence - Mr X
I wouldn't worry to much about 'Doing the above will waste all our money (the tax payer).'
After all, the DOT don't.
'A "stupendously incompetent" government efficiency drive designed to save £57m will end up costing £81m, MPs say.
The Department for Transport scheme aimed to cut administration expenses by basing payroll, finance and personnel services all on one site in Swansea.
But the Commons public accounts committee said the project had been rushed through, was not yet fully introduced and was set to make losses.
The new computer system had even issued messages in German, the MPs added.'
'The shared services centre in Swansea was originally forecast to cost £55m and lead to £112m of savings - a benefit of £57m.
But the department now estimates the programme will cost £121m and save £40m, meaning taxpayers will have to make up the £81m difference.'

You may recall reading about the DVLA's pursuit of public input via a consultation process, basically asking us which fees we would prefer them to increase next year to help dig them out of their hole.

Removing points from licence - Falkirk Bairn
The new computer system had even issued messages in German the MPs added.'
'The shared services centre in Swansea was originally forecast to cost £55m and lead to £112m of savings - a benefit of £57m.

Sats, SQA, HMRC, DVLA.....................

What have they got in common?..............Computers and failed Govt Projects.

The words Government Dept & Computers should never be allowed in the same sentence.

That said SWMBO Income Tax reminder arrived on the button to remind us as as usual (and take the shine off Xmas)of the payment due in January! Why not delay the letter 2 weeks and let us enjoy a few days enjoyment + peace & quiet - we would still have 4 weeks to pay the bill!
Removing points from licence - Bilboman
In response to Harleyman (Out of interest; have any BR members had problems in Europe if they haven't yet converted to photocard licence? ) and Ian's comments about ID, the rule in Spain is that every adult must carry ID at all times, since random spot checks are technically possible (although for western European tourists, extremely unlikely).
Traffic police "relate" better to photocard driving licences and often ignore passports completely, but it's vice versa with other organisations (other types of police, hospitals, airlines, hotels). (Since October, I have had to carry my passport for internal flights in Spain, whereas before my driving licence was OK.) Car hire agencies require both.
"Lack of familiarity" is the reason for the odd dealing with awkward or unhelpful staff (ever had problems using Scottish banknotes in England?) for whom a driving licence without a photo, a passport without an address, or a whole country of 65 million people without ID cards is utterly incomprehensible.