94 1.8 O2 sensor removal.... - Javalin
Hello all,

ABS engined Golf - with the 2 wire lambda sensor in the top of the exhaust at the back of the engine - up against the bulkhead.

Tried to remove it tonight - gave it welly with a std 22mm spanner (you cannot get a socket on it sadly) - and no joy. Swearing at it or hitting (the spanner end) with hammer didn't produce any results!

Only thoughts are to get an extra long 22mm spanner / possibly also a ratchet one and cut the wire off.

Any other ideas? Basically seems to be a how-do-you-get-more-leaverage type question...

Cheers,

James
94 1.8 O2 sensor removal.... - yorkiebar
Get special socket on it, drop the exhaust if need be.

proper socket, decent leverage bar, and hope the exhaust is strong enough that the sensor turns before the exhaust splits!
94 1.8 O2 sensor removal.... - jc2
you can buy sockets with a slot in one side for the wiring.
Hiya

Yeah got one of those - however as said - while its attached to the car you cannot get a socket on it - its tight against the bulkhead.

Removing the exhaust downpipe (?) is an option but difficult on this car - looks to be well trapped above the front suspension. Last resort maybe - i'll look again tonight/tomorrow

James
You can get "crowsfoot" ones as well.
Hey,

>crowsfoot?
Whats that then?

The one I've got is a long 22mm socket with the wire slit in it....

Got a link?

Cheers,

James
Like a heavily re-inforced short open-end but with 1/2"sq. hole for bar-certainly sold by Snap-On and other good tool firms-what about Stilsons?
ok - I think i've gotcha. I'll look at the usual places at lunch - Factors/Halfords/Wickes etc.

Cheers for the idea!

James
Sorted. Amazing how easy it is with the right tools! 18" bar and a 22mmm crowsfoot.

Cheers!