Alpine pass experience - Spospe
Just got back from a tour of France in our MK7 Transit Motorhome during which we drove over the highest pass in Europe at Resterfond (9200 feet).

Some observations of this run were that, firstly the change in pressure from start, at about 3000 feet to the top meant that the gas turned on with a huge ?whoosh? when we made coffee. This calmed down when the gas regulator sorted itself out.

Secondly, that plastic milk bottle that had been opened at the top was badly squashed when we got down to our overnighting spot.

Thirdly, our Tom Tom went into a tis-was when descending the hairpin bends on the north side of the pass and said, ?turn around when possible?, this was seemingly caused by the road doubling back on itself to such a degree that it appeared as if we had done a U-turn.

Fourthly, and the main point of this post, the next morning I found that the engine had lost about a pint of coolant. There was no obvious sign of a leak anywhere, engine temperature going up the pass had been normal, outside temperature had been below freezing (it was actually snowing at the top). My guess is that due to the altitude change, the pressure cap (25 lb) had been unable to cope and had allowed some blow-off of coolant.

There is not a huge amount of through traffic over this pass, due to its remoteness, height, narrowness and only being open for three months per year and so there is not a lot of driver experience in using it. My question is, can such a loss of coolant be expected in driving over such a pass, or do I have a problem?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/12/2008 at 13:01

Alpine pass experience - Altea Ego
So thats 2804 metres.

Went over the Stelvio pass on the first weekend of October (that's 2757 metres) so you beat me by 53 metres. It was sunny but has snowed the previous evening and was -6c

Tom tom had a tis-was on the 47 hairpin access road, because as you say its twists so much its not sure what part of the road you are on (If you look at a plan view some of the haripins are overlaid on top of each other)

We had a full plastic bottle of orangina that was ok at the bottom and near exploding at the top!

To answer your question, the Altea lost no coolant going up and over 2757 metres.

Oh and according to wikipedia

Col de Restefond (el. 2680 m./8793 ft

So I may have beaten you after all.

Alpine pass experience - Brit_in_Germany
There is a short loop of the Col de Restefond, the Col de la Bonette, taking you up to 2802 m. I think the TdF goes over this.

BIG
Col de la Bonette (el. 2715 m./8907 ft.) is a high mountain pass in the French Alps, near the border with Italy. It is situated within the Mercantour National Park on the border of the departments of Alpes-Maritimes and Alpes-de-Haute-Provence.

The passage over the Col de la Bonette is often mistakenly referred to as the Col de Restefond, and in the 2008 Tour de France the summit is referred to as the Cime de la Bonette-Restefond. Stage 16 of the tour approaches the summit from Saint-Étienne-de-Tinée (south-east), and after reaching the Col de la Bonette, takes a loop round the Cime de la Bonette reaching the summit of 2802 m, which is the highest point reached by the Tour de France, before re-passing the Col de la Bonette. On the descent to Jausiers, the actual Col de Restefond is then passed on the right approximately 1 km from the summit.

The two kilometre long teardrop shaped loop around the Cime de la Bonette peak (2860m) from either side of the pass is the highest paved through route in the Alps.
A signpost at the foot of the climb[2] makes the claim "Col de la Bonette - Restefond, 2802 m above sea level, highest road in Europe". This claim is incorrect for various reasons. The actual Col de la Bonette rises to 2715 m, but there are three Alpine road passes whose altitudes are higher: Col de l'Iseran (2770 m), Stelvio Pass (2757 m) and Col Agnel (2744 m). The road around the Cime de la Bonette reaches an altitude of 2802 m, but this is not a "pass", but merely a scenic loop. It is, however, the highest asphalted road in France and is the highest through road in Europe.
AE

The plaque at the top of the pass quotes 2802 metres, so I am afraid that Wiki is yet again wrong (2802 metres = 9199.9 feet).

There are three 9000 ft + passes in the Alps.

Resterfond at 9200

Iseran at 9094

and Stelvio at a mere 9045 ft.

At the top of Resterfond, there is a loop road used as a parking area and from it there is a path that leads to the top of the Cime de la Bonnette at 9400+ft. We walked up this (rough) path to the top in a white-out and ran back down again without losing any of our own personal coolant (joke).

It is a mystery as to why the 'van should have lost so much and as previously suggested it may be due to the pressure change?
well as per my answer, mine didn't loose any water. I don't suppose an extra 50 metres would have made it loose any water.
AE

I agree with you, in your case another 50 metres or so would probably have made no difference at all, but something happend to our 'van and I am curious to know what it was.

Any ideas?
Alpine pass experience - Stargazer {P}
Not an alpine pass, but taking cars/4*4 vehicles up to the summit of Mauna Kea at approx 4,200m or 13,800 ft didnt show any coolant loss or other problems.

StarGazer