Citroen C5 wins major award. - cattleman6
I have just seen on the RTE website in Ireland, that the Irish Motoring Writers Association has just crowned the Citroen C5 "Semperit Irish Car of the Year 2009". (last year's winner was the Ford Mondeo).
The Ford Fiesta was awarded "Semperit Irish small Family Car of the Year 2009".

The overall winner was chosen from the category winners. C5 scored an impressive 200 points with the new Fiesta taking second spot with 158 points, just shading the Jaguar XF in third place (156 points).
Just look up the rte.ie website and click on motoring.
Citroen C5 wins major award. - tyro
Interestingly enough, the sole Irish judge on the European Car of the Year panel (Michael McAleer) put the Citroen C5 in fourth place.
Citroen C5 wins major award. - oilrag
I wonder where the guy with the `Gold Tin` 1969 Hilka socket set would place it?
It's an interesting result in Ireland though. The most popular cars here seem to be Toyota and Ford. The French won some other prizes in other categories between the sister companies Peugeot and Citroen. As I mentioned one finds the details on the RTE website under motors or motoring. It is www.rte.ie
Apparently the new Opel Insignia was too new on the Irish market to enter. It would have had an advantage if it had entered I think.To me the Citroen C5 is beautiful to look at and very comfortable in the driver's seat. They don't give the new Honda Accord much chance because they seem to think it has to outdo the BMW 3 series, the C Class Mercedes and the A4 Audi. I think that is very unfair. The Honda is a very good car and it is certainly larger than a C Class or a 3 series etc.They should give it a chance!!
I have to confess that I will be holding on to my excellent Seat Toledo TDiSE which I bought new in Devon near end of 1999.I had it on the ice the other morning and was very impressed. You can feel everything through the steering and the traction control and everything else works beautifully after 163,000 miles. I can't afford to change car because of the credit crunch. When things change I will definitely go for a car with good feel good steering (awareness),traction control,excellent economy (my present car does around 60 mph on long runs).I also favour front wheel drive on icy roads. I had to drive down due south in Wicklow on very icy roads the other day. There were many wrecked cars by the side of the road. The choice of car is rather important.
Citroen C5 wins major award. - L'escargot
I have just seen on the RTE website in Ireland that the Irish Motoring Writers
Association has just crowned the Citroen C5 "Semperit Irish Car of the Year 2009".

Begorrah!
I am very glad the C5 won, because it is a very beautiful and comfortable car.
Seriously the C5 has won an extremely important award against lots of competition. It was very important and it truly deserved the award.A beautiful comfortable car.
Citroen C5 wins major award. - NowWheels
Cattleman, would I be correct if I took a wild gamble and guessed that you like the C5?
NowWheels. I am not ashamed to admit it. When I see it in charcoal black, it is definitely one of the nicest looking cars on the road. I have loved the shape since they showed sketches pre production. I admit the reports on vague steering feel from various quarters would worry me. I think the new Honda Accord is probably a far better car to own in the long term. Rather more expensive though. That is a very big award the Citroen has won. Between Citroen and Peugeot (sister company) they scooped other awards as well. I admit, if the Opel (Vauxhall) Insignia had been able to enter, it would definitely have beaten the Citroen C5. The Insignia won in Europe! My present Seat Toledo from the end of 1999 is still going fabulously with traction control and nice sensitive steering (you know what you are driving on etc). If the drive shaft does go (as a garrage boss has warned me) as I have done a large mileage, then I will be looking for another car. With the credit crunch I can't afford one at present, but that will change. My favourite would be the Honda Accord or even the cheaper but good Seat Exeo (revamped ex Audi A4). I won't rule out the Citroen C5 as it is cheaper than the Honda and very nice looking. After driving on thick ice the other day, steering feed back and good traction control and front wheel drive are vital for me. My present car has all that and more; but it's time is limited.
Citroen C5 wins major award. - NowWheels
I am not ashamed to admit it.

That's fine. I was just a little bemused that you started a thread on it, and 5 of the 8 replies were from you. It looks like you are running a little one-man ad campaign :)
With the credit crunch I can't afford one at present, but that will change

I think you are about the only person in Ireland who expects their finances to improve any time soon ...
NowWheels. I am realistic. You have to try and be positive. Of course things will take years to get properly better.We of course have been hit terribly hard by the crunch.

I honestly don't see anything wrong at all starting a thread on it. The Citroen C5 becoming the car of the year over here is indeed rather big news in the motor industry.

I have certainly no reason at all to run a one-man advertising campaign. End of story!