Cause of accidents... - Mark (RLBS)
On the radio this morning, and over the last week or so, has been an advert encouraging people to take a break when they're driving to avoid getting over tired.

Sensible advice.

However, it also says 30% of all motorway accidents are due to someone being overtired.

Really ? Seems a bit unlikely.

Still, with 30% being speed related, 30% being overtiredness, that only leaves us another 40% to find. Probably about 2 more causes to find and then there'll never be another motorway accident.
Cause of accidents... - Ian (Cape Town)
I think if you added up all the "Factor X is the cause of n % of accidents" statements, you'd reach 245%!
Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics ...
Cause of accidents... - THe Growler
How do you measure "tiredness"? And then prove it was a factor in an accident? Maybe if the guy was asleep when it happened, that's about the only way.

Maybe the gov't would get more mileage (pun) out of what it is about life in Britain that makes drivers allegedly so tired.
Or perhaps ban you getting into a car when you are tired. Or pull you over when you yawn.

As for a nice round number like that it smells remarkably like the New Labour predilection for inventing a "fact" then setting up committees of pimply seat warmers working for consultancies to generate the data to support it until everyone believes it. Marx would have been proud and even the N. Koreans must be getting a few tips of the trade.

Cause of accidents... - matt35 {P}
Ian,
Reminds me of the statistician who drowned in a river which had an average depth of 1 metre?
Matt35.
Cause of accidents... - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Oggling tottie *must* have caused quite a few over the years yet it doesn't feature in accident statistics.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Cause of accidents... - J Bonington Jagworth
Don't give them ideas, Toad, or they'll ban that as well!
Don't give them ideas, Toad, or they'll ban that as well!

A ban on tottie?

Wouldn't make much difference to me... ;-(

--
Parp, Parp!
Cause of accidents... - J Bonington Jagworth
>A ban on tottie?

Heaven forfend! I just meant a ban on looking at it...

>Wouldn't make much difference to me...

Sorry to hear that, Toad :-(

>A ban on tottie?
Heaven forfend! I just meant a ban on looking at it...

I knew. ;-)
>Wouldn't make much difference to me...
Sorry to hear that, Toad :-(

Yeah, I thought HJ's site would be wall to wall crumpet. Imagine my disappointment when it was just a load of blokes talking about cars. ;-)

--
Parp, Parp!
Cause of accidents... - Dwight Van Driver
But I always thought your were not a Natterjack but a Horny Toad.
Blast. Wrong again.

DVD
But I always thought your were not a Natterjack but a
Horny Toad.
Blast. Wrong again.

DVD, have you *really* gone out and bought a book on amphibians just to make jokes like that? ;-)

...but just in case my luck changes I don't suppose you've got any spare handcuffs lying around...

--
Parp, Parp!
>>Still, with 30% being speed related, 30% being overtiredness, that only leaves us another 40% to find.

It gets better...

According to the Radio this morning, you are 40% more likely to have an accident if you're using a cellphone and 35% more likely if you're over the alcohol limit.

Consequently I think that leaves us with only another 16% of problems to be found and we can stop mobile phone users ever having another accident.
Cause of accidents... - Dwight Van Driver
Parliament are working on the above 40% reduction with a Bill before them.
Keyword - Motor Vehicles (Prohibition on the Use of Hand-Held Mobile Telephones) Bill - should give you scope to pull up the draft Bill.

DVD
Cause of accidents... - TrevorP
Query - does anyone know of any European country where hand-held phones are NOT banned?
DWD,
Is Parliament, under our leader who cannot apparently use a condom successfully, the right body to study accidents?
Matt35
our leader who cannot apparently use a condom
successfully,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. He's taking responsibility for the nation yet he can't take responsibility for his own wife.

--
Parp, Parp!
Cause of accidents... - terryb
our leader who cannot apparently use a condom
successfully

Not allowed to Matt, he's a catholic.
:o)
Terry
Cause of accidents... - BrianW
"Not allowed to Matt, he's a catholic. "

IIRC she is but he isn't.

BUT, most accidents are caused by humans, and most humans are caused by accidents.
probably far enough down that avenue, thank you people.

Mark (RLBS)
Moderator at Work

mailto:mark_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Mark,
Sorry if I diverted the thread with my post.
Thanks for deleting the nutter cojones so promptly...hope Postman Pat is not too advanced for him.
Regards,
Matt35.
Cause of accidents... - Markymarkn
If 35% of accidents are caused by people over the drink drive limit, then surely the best way to reduce accidents would be to get wasted before driving the car?... ;-)

...And then of course when your on the move make a phone call!

Mark.