2.2 Diesel Tiptronic - Any tales of woe? - Nickdm
I'm looking for a nearly new 4x4 diesel automatic, and am finding that there are few cars that fit the bill (or my pocket).

Short-listed are the Land Cruiser Prado 3.0D (2007/8), or, if I can find one in my budget, a BMW X3 (2006/7). Other than a Hyundai/Kia, the only other vehicle that fits the brief seems to be a Freelander 2. I've always assumed the Freelander to be generally unreliable? Is it worthy of a look? I could stretch to a 2008 ex-demo. Reliability is my number 1 priority. Is it worth my attention? TIA.
2.2 Diesel Tiptronic - Any tales of woe? - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=949

Diesel Auto heavy on fuel, among other comments - not many of them very flattering!
2.2 Diesel Tiptronic - Any tales of woe? - gordonbennet
Reliability no 1 priority to me spells Japan or Korea.

No comparison between a Landcruiser and a Freelander, Landcruiser is tough old fashioned and unbreakable, Freelander is more the equivalent of Rav 4/CRV/X trail.

Remember if you go for large 4 x 4 you will end up at top rate VED when dick turpin decides to implement the increases that are temporarily on hold, and expect 30 mpg or thereabouts only from a 2 ton brick, other than that the Landcruiser would always be my choice in that market.

New model Hyundai santa fe worth a look as freelander equivalent, 5 year unlimited warranty to boot.
2.2 Diesel Tiptronic - Any tales of woe? - daveyjp
I've driven new Freelander 2.2 auto - awful. The hunting between gears in 30 limits was unacceptable.
2.2 Diesel Tiptronic - Any tales of woe? - Nickdm
Useful feedback, thanks. Think I've fallen for an X3 now as it turns out! (Separate thread). Freelander is/was very much the outsider.
2.2 Diesel Tiptronic - Any tales of woe? - injection doc
I have now had my freelander 2 auto for six months. Totally trouble free & rattle free. I have not experienced any auto box hunting. In fact as auto boxes, go & matched to a diesel 4x4 it has to be the best i have experienced in over 30 years of motoring. I am fairly critical of an auto box as i tow a 29ft caravan. I am pleased with how the box changes down on its own on hills or comming up to junctions reducing the need for sitting on the brakes. The sports mode or manual shift is faultless.
fuel consuption wise when brandnew was bad! 23-27. However it has been improving drastically since passing 4500 miles & on saturday I covered over 350 miles on motorway with crusie control on & at 70 returned 37.6 & on the 175 mile return journey set the CC at 65 & returned 42. I normally now return 31-33 overall running about & 22-26 towing,I consider this excellent on a 2.2 auto 4x4 with huge amounts of tourqe & stunning performance for the size of vehicle. 0-60 in under 11sec compared to a Discovery I had that was about 18 sec 0-60.
The old freelander left a lot to be desired but the Freelander 2 is a totally different animal.Its also extremly quiet with no diesel noise pentration when driving which makes for a far less tiring drive. The longest distance travelled in one day was 860 miles in under 12 hours towing from the south of france & felt fine at the end of the day & I couldn't manage that in my Jaguar.