Battery runs flat whilst car running? - Mapmaker
Apparently, whilst my car was being defrosted this morning - engine running, heater blowing on full, the battery ran flat and the car stopped. Jump started, and now running.

Anybody ever heard of this happening before?
Battery runs flat whilst car running? - Screwloose

It's not common; but quite possible.

You need a battery that's either well discharged or with limited reserve capacity. Couple that with an alternator that produces little charge at idle and a 20 amp plus discharge to fan. HRW, mirrors etc.

It then doesn't take too long to pull the terminal voltage down to the level that the ECU cuts out.
Thanks Screwloose, that was much my thought. Strange thing is the battery should have been fairly well charged. Women! (Probably doesn't help that "somebody" has let the battery discharge twice.) Either a new battery or a new car; probably go for the latter.
Battery runs flat whilst car running? - drbe
>> Either a new battery or a new car; probably go for the latter.

>>

Wise decision.

I always do exactly the same, anytime the battery goes flat, I buy a new car, I just don't understand why my wife doesn't see it the same way!
I just don't understand why my wife doesn't see it the same way!

Divorce her and marry Stu's wife.

3 new tyres and a battery though, might be time for a new motor, get rid of the hated Vectra. I'm getting itchy fingers now I can see 2002 cars approaching the £1,000 mark...