Rear Seat Belts - Nick Ireland
I know that some Government Ministers are able to manage not to be prosecuted for speeding but do they also have exemption from wearing rear saet belts. Study of the endless and boring coverage of the election shows our leaders leaping out of cars without unfastening any visible seat belt and driving away without putting them on. Any easy target for Plod one would have thought but probably a career threatening move for one who tried it!
Re: Rear Seat Belts - Gwyn Parry
An easier target for the law of Newton !
Re: Rear Seat Belts - Mike Jacobs
it's not just govt ministers, it seems to be most of the motoring population that don't belt up in the back. No matter how many exhortations from safety organisations people get, the public seem to have a very casual attitude to safety. Most people who get flung out of motor vehicles die and the incidence of front passenger/and or driver being killed is well documented. The thing to remember though is to try and understand our own attitudes,mistakes and weakneses,however loathsome others appear.
Re: Rear Seat Belts - G.Hughes
As in most things it is good to see our politicians setting a good example!

No fool would walk into a brick wall, yet the 'unbelted' are prepared to hit that wall (or worse let their children hit it) at often death resulting velocity in an accident or emergency stop. What about large pets where the results are the same?

Maybe some sort of annoying continous beeping device should be compulsory in vehicles - only going off when seat belts are used.
Re: Rear Seat Belts :annoying bleeping device - graeme clark
Mr G. Hughes should come to the middle east , every car is fitted with an annoying bleeping device that is activated at 126kmh. However as the radio (not a valve type i hasten to add) can and does drown this out it makes no diffrence and the norm is 160kmp+. But as the rear passengers do not wear seat belts anyway and the driver has his foot on the dash board, and the wife in the front seat is busy with the kids on her lap it realy does not matter to much.

Of course if you do have an accident then the lowest denomonation
on the number plate is the party not at fault..

OLD FART.....
Re: Rear Seat Belts - honest john
Apparently they do. They are exempt from having to wear them due to the risk of hijack. That's why Diana Spencer and Dodi Fayed weren't wearing them and arguably why they both died.

HJ
Re: Rear Seat Belts - Dave

honest john wrote:
>
> Apparently they do. They are exempt from having to wear them
> due to the risk of hijack. That's why Diana Spencer and Dodi
> Fayed weren't wearing them and arguably why they both died.

Cool.

Risk of Hijacking 100,000 to 1.
Risk of dying in a car crash 200 to 1.

Very clever law...

Of course a cynic might have a less charitable theory on why DPOW and Dodi wern't belted up.
Re: Rear Seat Belts - John Kenyon
Although belting up in the back is the responsibility of the passenger (if over the age of 14), drivers should take on that responsibility, on the grounds of
self preservation (i.e. being nutted by a back seat passenger).

I use 3 steps:

1. Polite request
2. "I don't want you to kill me if we have an accident"
3. "We are not going anywhere unless you belt up"
or "The bus stop, the train station, or you wear your seat belt - your call"

/John
Re: Rear Seat Belts - Dave
John Kenyon wrote:

> 3. "We are not going anywhere unless you belt up"
> or "The bus stop, the train station, or you wear your seat
> belt - your call"

I agree with your sentiments.

..but you must be pain in the arse to live with. ;-)
Re: Rear Seat Belts - Brian
Last time I out a sign in the back saying "Why don't you belt up" it was the mother-in-law that belted me!
Re: Rear Seat Belts - Gwyn Parry
even my pet Wilderbeast (ok Spaniel) is now belted in the back (or front is the Mrs ain't with me).