Motoring Books for Christmas - Dipstick
Ok, the rule of this thread is:

Recommend one - and only one - book on motoring that you think others might enjoy for Christmas. It need not be in print.

It's a bit like the "what do you listen to in the car" threads that come round every so often, but as I don't listen to music but do read a lot I thought it would make a change.

Here's the first. I mentioned this one here in 2003 (thank you in advance to those who check every utterance and breath by posters to see if they stay consistent and then abrasively advise they shouldn't have even got up this morning) but it still stands.

I recommend Geoffrey Owen's book "Turning back the Clock: The Life and Times of a Motor Trader". It's an easy quick read, funny in parts, and talks about motor trading as it used to be done, so has some historical interest too.

Edited by Dipstick on 03/12/2008 at 09:46

Motoring Books for Christmas - Ian (Cape Town)
Stirling Mosses book of motoring tales - editted by the man himself, and gives some brilliant reminisces of racing from all aspects.
Includes Jenks' brilliant Mille Miglia aricle, as well as some good stuff on Stewart, fangio etc etc etc.
Motoring Books for Christmas - mattbod
Into The Red by Nick Mason & Mark Hales (Virgin): Track tests of some of Mason's beautiful collection including BRM V16, ferrari GTO , and Bugatti Type 35 complete with a cd of engine sounds. A must for the true petrol head.
Christmas motoring reads. - Pugugly
I for one, will be tucked up in a cottage in Wales over the Christmas Hols. Some of you may have some leisure time, an opportunity perhaps to do some decent page turning.

My choice for the season will be:-

1. Old Man on a Bike - Simon Gandolfi. A seventy year old riding a Honda 125cc through Mexico.

Any other ideas. For some reason I thought it would would appeal to Lud for his Antipodean trip.

Moved into an existing thread -Self moderation - What next ?

Edited by Pugugly on 10/12/2008 at 20:26

Christmas motoring reads. - Alby Back
About once every ten years or so I re-read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. A delightfully period piece but thought provoking nonetheless.
Christmas motoring reads. - borasport20
About once every ten years or so I re-read "Zen and the art of motorcycle
maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. A delightfully period piece but thought provoking nonetheless.

HB - what am I missing ? I've tried to read this several times, and never got past the first few chapters. Is there something wrong with me ?
Christmas motoring reads. - Pugugly
No.
Christmas motoring reads. - Alby Back
I can quite understand that it wouldn't be for everybody. Not actually over keen on his writing style myself. It's more the weirdness of it I quite enjoy. Just a bit different from most other stuff. I quite like things which are at odds with my own experiences and values. Counterpoint and attitudinal juxtaposition sometimes help me to straighten out my own thoughts. But fair enough, not everyone's cuppa...
Motoring Books for Christmas - John F
'Chrysler and General Motors - my part in their downfall' by E. Toyota

Admittedly not yet in print - or even written, but should make a good read.
Motoring Books for Christmas - Pugugly
Not a read - but a very good DVD recommended on here. It was amongst a handful I took with me abroad recently but it didn't like my Laptop - consequently watched it tonight.

America Unchained - very good Christmas viewing.

Motoring Books for Christmas - Carl2
Still missing HJ,s yearly car by car breakdown.
Motoring Books for Christmas - Nickdm
Forgotten the author's name (a Dutchman), but I've just read a paperback called "My Mercedes is NOT for sale". Lightweight but insightful story of driving an old Merc 190D from Holland down the West coast of Africa and then selling it to the locals. used to be big business. Some interesting characters and a bit of a history lesson too.
Motoring Books for Christmas - welshlad
following a particular long running thread on this site i was gonna write a screenplay for a film called 'Dude, where's my mitsuibushi colt CZC' :-)