Citroen Xantia Problems !! - theworldismyoyster
Recently purchased 1.8i 16v 96 ( 2 weeks ) , nice and clean , waiting for the problems to surface , replaced 4 corner spheres (Eurocarparts £12 each ), still sitting a little low at the back , but chanced trip to Inverness from Liverpool, reached Glasgow rear suspension non existent , found local accomodation with intent homeward return , brake failure !!, no initial pressure , panic !! and brakes lock up , returned home on rear of pick up.
Where do I start any techies with ideas ? can I check rear central sphere for Ok ness ? does the suspension relate to braking system??

Mike
Citroen Xantia Problems !! - doug_523i
What's your lhm fluid level like? The brakes and suspension are part of the same system. The centre spheres are more like reservoirs, as far as I'm told by the local garage, but there is a height adjustment that only main dealers appear to be able to do. I'd check for leaks first. Did you top up the fluid after changing the spheres?
Citroen Xantia Problems !! - Mark (RLBS)
Now you need that nice Mr. Woollard and I seem to recall he's in Scotland somewhere.

I'd recommend that you try and e-mail him and failing that hope he gets back on-line in time.
Citroen Xantia Problems !! - TD
Mike,

Not quite the same symptoms, esp. brakes, but have a look at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=67...4 that Dave commented on.

TD.
Citroen Xantia Problems !! - Citroënian {P}
I think you can check the level of the LHM by setting the height lever next to the handbrake to highest (towards boot), running the engine and then looking at the reservior tank under the bonnet - IIRC the little disc should be between the two marks on the clear indicator.

Sorry if you already knew this,
Lee.

Citroen Xantia Problems !! - M.M
twimo,

Excuse rather brief comment, just back from hols (350 miles yesterday with absolute ease in our Xantia!).

The sphere condition does not affect ride height (just quality), the height corrector does this.

A lowish back end (when running) is usually a fault with this unit or its setting. Total collapse at the back can be a broken link from the height corrector to the suspension.

Easier to replace the central sphere rather than test the pressure.

Yes the rear suspension pressure and rear brake effort are connected.

A brake "zero feel" followed by hard stopping can be a sign of air in the system. Because the system is fully powered it only takes it a split second to "take up" the air bubble (when you think the brakes are failing and push the pedal even harder) then maximum brake effort is recovered and the car stands on its nose. Very unnerving.

Does that help?

David W