White rear indicators - captain chaos
I've noticed lately quite a few late model cars with clear rear light lenses and an orange indicator bulb but when they flash they appear white. Could this be a potential problem come MOT time?
White rear indicators - astrabob
Yes - if the indicator appears white it will fail.

The solution is to replace the bulbs. The orange coating on them tends to flake off over time.
White rear indicators - grumpyscot
And many people, when they replace the bulbs, put in a white bulb 'cos that's what they've always done. They don't seem to think (if the yellow has flaked off) that it could be anything different.

Almost as bad as some of the old Fords & Renaults whose read lenses use to turn pink if left in the sun too long - ended up with white rear lights.
White rear indicators - BobbyG
For something like 5 straight years, my Saxo used to have to get new indicator bulbs at MOT time for this reason. It is one of these "in the opinion of the testers" criteria. I just assumed that was his way of making a couple of pounds extra for each MOT he did.
White rear indicators - Clanger
And many people when they replace the bulbs put in a white bulb 'cos that's
what they've always done.

It shouldn't be possible to replace amber bulbs with clear; amber bulbs have offset pins.

Also, for some time I've been treating amber bulbs with flaky varnish to a coat of - wait for it - amber varnish. Cheaper than a new bulb.
White rear indicators - sierraman
It shouldn't be possible to replace amber bulbs with clear; amber bulbs have offset pins.

If you are hamfisted enough you can make them fit,some manage to acheive blinding taillights and dismal brake lights with the twin filament bulbs.
White rear indicators - MikeTorque
I wish manufacturers would not use clear glass/plastic indicator covers, in general they do not provide as good/clear an orange light indicator as an orange lens cover provides.

The Astra (to name but one) has the rear indicator lens as cloudy white which makes matters even worse, Vauxhall needs to sort out this safety issue.

In sunny conditions the clear cover types can be completely masked out by sunlight passing through the clear lens which interrupts the light emitted from the bulb, whereas an orange cover is completely light up by the bulb underneath it whatever the conditions.

Also manufacturers take note, the indicator locations should always be on the extremes of a vehicle and not centred near the radiator grille, as fitted to some vehicles. At night the indicator light is masked by the headlights and during the day visibility from the front is more limiting compared with an orange lens cover. Cosmetics makeovers are compromising safety.
White rear indicators - SlidingPillar
Well said, I could not agree more. Additionally, amber lenses have the advantage you can see quicker if the light is flashing in daylight as you know you are looking in the right place.

Does not answer the question of "should they be flashing" etc, but it's a start!
White rear indicators - Hamsafar
I agree, there are some shockingly bad quality orange bulbs fitted from new, where the coating turns to flakes after a couple of years. I got some dichroic coated ones from the Vauxhall dealer, they are VERY cheap there. Like www.startledrabbit.com/images/products/diadem.jpg but with a GM sticker stuck over the packet.