Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - vanillacup
I bought a new vehicle last year and now it has to go in for re-call work. I have asked the supplying dealer for a courtesy vehicle whilst the work is completed but they are refusing to supply one. I use the vehicle for work and the dealer has said if I wish to apply for compensation then I have to apply directly to the manufacturer. I would have thought "...sales of goods act..." or similar would state a courtesy vehicle should be supplied.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Mr X
So even in these times of recession with buyers drying up and money not being spent, car dealers are still prepared to stick two fingers in the air and alienate potential repeat business.
You have to wonder which planet they left to set up base on earth.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Altea Ego
I would have thought "...sales of goods act..." or
similar would state a courtesy vehicle should be supplied.
Any ideas ?

No the SOG act or any other consumer legislation does not say you are entitled to a courtesy car.

A recall could involve 1000s of cars. you really expect 100s of courtesy cars to be supplied?

The idea of a recall is that you take it at your convenience.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - NorfolkDriver
The idea of a recall is that you take it at your convenience.

That'll be a Sunday morning then. Dont spose service bays are open on a Sunday are they?

As most recalls are for safety related aspects, who is going to carry on using the vehicle a moment longer than they have to before having it looked at ?

Amazing how we are expected to be inconvenienced and to lump it or like it.
The problem is I need the vehicle for work, so if the work takes 1 day then I lose a days work. The dealer has courtesy vehicles but they are saying they are not available for re-call work. I've said when a vehicle is available then they can have mine in for the work but they have come back with, " If you refuse to have the work completed by 19th December then the vehicle could be unsafe and you should not use it."
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Last time I had recall work done I was given a company demonstrator for the day - 3 months old. When I am in for my own servicing I get the free loan of an 8 year old 406. It was pointed out to me that I was getting a better car as basically Peugeot were subbing the cost of the recall work AND the courtesy car.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 26/11/2008 at 20:53

'It was pointed out to me that I was getting a better car as basically Peugeot were subbing the cost of the recall work AND the courtesy car.'

Surely you were getting the car you paid for in the first place, ie one that worked and was safe to use?
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Armitage Shanks {p}
No - both cars were safe and legal. If Peugeot were paying I got something almost new and if it was a free loan car supplied by the dealer personally, and as a favour to me, I get what they offer me on the day.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - J500ANT
contact the vehicle manufacturer.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - movilogo
IIRC, dealers are not required to give you a courtesy car. But they usually supply one as a goodwill gesture (as they can always bill manufacturer later for warranty work).

Having said so, I'm appalled that they didn't provide you a replacement car for re-call work (especially at this downturn).

Contact manufacturer immediately and you have a good chance of getting one.

Or try with a different dealer.
I will contact manufacturer tomorrow and see what they have to say.
thanks for the replies.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Falkirk Bairn
My DiL's Civic was in for 2/3 days. the car hire on offer was????????????????

A Daewoo Matiz - from the local hire shop across the street - this was refused as it did not meet one of the main points of having a new Civic - no ISOFIX for the 3 yr old.

Complained and then miraculously a Civic appeared.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Simon
>>Or try with a different dealer.

My thoughts too.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Bagpuss
When my M3 went in for recall work on the engine bearings a few years ago I got a brand new fully loaded 530i for the 2 days. I guess if the recall involves a more mainstream product there is the logistical problem of sorting out thousands of courtesy cars for the affected customers.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - OldSock
A couple of years ago the electric radiator fan on my '99 Volvo S80 packed up (actually, it started operating all the time), just days after receiving a recall letter from Volvo regarding replacement of that very same item! Apparently it was a huge recall job involving hundreds of thousands of vehicles - all at risk from an under-bonnet fire. This was in spite of my car being about seven years old at the time.

Anyway, the local main dealer had it in for the day and loaned my a new V50 - gratis.

"A result!", thought I..... :-)
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - niceguyeddy
What manufacturer is it ?

What type of fault is it getting recalled for ?

The vehicle in question is a London taxi, ( LTI TX4), manufactured by LTI- Maganese Bronze.
Hence the reason I will lose 1-2 days earnings if I am not supplied a courtesy vehicle.
The recall is because a couple of the early models, (56 reg) have had under bonnet fires, this shouldn't really affect mine because it is a 57 reg.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - yorkiebar
Might you not lose more money and business time if it does catch fire? Might be cheaper to just get it done?

Do you have insurance to cover you for vehicle off road situations?

How do you cope when vehicle needs servicing or repairs?

Its over a year old (according to your post) and if its your only grumble then its not done bad surely?

If they are recalling it for your benefit and they dont really have to then its you thats gaining and not them?
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - J500ANT
I have to say I think we've all been a bit misled by the OP.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Simon
I have to say I think we've all been a bit misled by the OP.

Well at no point did he ever state that it was a taxi and it never occured to me that the vehicle in question was being used for commercial purposes. 'm not surprised that they have no loan cars available and certainly not vehicles that they want working commercially whilst out on loan.

I'm sure this recall work can't take more than a few hours at the most so it can't be that hard to sort out a time slot to drop it off and then pick it up again. Like it has been said, it must spend some time off the road for servicing and surely you must have days off too.
Courtesy vehicle for re- call work? - Optimist
Cabbies are a funny breed, bless 'em. There was a programme on the TV the other night about the economic downturn and cabbies were interviewed. Times was terrible, they said, including one bloke who was sure he'd never seen worse in 30 years.

But when there's a chance of losing out, bless you guvnor, I'll need compensation for all the work I'm missing. Or not. Depending on who I'm talking to.

I only take courtesy cars if I really have to. Unless they're covered on your own policy, you're usually on a minimum £500 excess and you're often driving round in a car covered with ads.

Anyway, guv, I've got to go 'cos I've got a fare. Or have I? Or not.

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2008 at 23:34