Focus Tyre Pressures - Greyhair
Can anyone help? The manufacturers and local dealer advises that the rear tyre pressures when fully loaded should be increased from 32 lbs/sqin to 46 lbs/sqin, otherwise damage will be caused and road holding affected. What do they mean by fully loaded? Does this mean the pressures have to be changed everytime there are two or three passengers in the rear and changed back again for one passenger? What length of journey does this apply? The local dealer would not commit himself to an answer.
Focus Tyre Pressures - Peter D
Fully loaded is all seat belts occupied by an adult and a boot full of luggage.

This is true of many cars although I am surprised the pressure has to go up to 46. What size of tyres are fitted to your model ??

Long distances travelled at low pressures will cause excessive wear and heat the tyre up considerably. The Focus also wanders with high loads and low pressures.

Remember to let the down again when there is only one or two people in the car as 46PSI in the rear will be like driving on marbles on the rear and it may want to swop ends.

Peter
Thanks for your comments. The tyres fitted are 185/65.
This is also in the Back Room under discussion and even here there seems to be some conflict of views. Although I think the focus is a great car, with the exception of its small boot, and now the question over the tyre pressures, I am now going to consider changing to the Honda Jazz for peace of mind. I remember years ago having a minor accident and one of the first things the loss adjuster did was to check the tyre pressures. Would this have been the Insurers "out" if they were at the wrong setting? What do you think?
Focus Tyre Pressures - Stargazer {P}
This agrees with my statement in the discussion thread....fully loaded only really applies if all seats are occupied and a full load of luggage is being carried. (Or its equivalent if the seats are dropped and only cargo is being carried.)

Ian L.

ps posting a thread in both discussion and technical doesnt always help...it splits the replies. Much better to have everything in one thread. If it doesnt get a response, Mark (RLBS) or Martyn BRM will usually oblige by moving the complete thread to the other forum to obtain a response.
Can anyone help. The manufacturers and local dealer advises that the rear tyre pressure when fully loaded should be increased from 32 lbs/sqin to 46 lbs/sqin, otherwise damage will be caused and road holding affected. What do they mean by fully loaded? Does this mean the pressures have to be changed everytime there are two or three passengers in the rear and changed back again for one passenger? What length of journey does this apply? The local dealer would not commit himself to an answer. I would be interested to know what other owners views and comments are.
Thanks for advice - wasn't quite sure where to put the question. Shall follow this rule in future.