1998 1.9 Dti Locking crankshaft for belt change - Meganiacal
I'm looking to change the timing belt on my F9Q engine Scenic, and I thought I would be a good boy (for a change!) and I bought the proper timing pins and flywheel locking tool. According to Haynes, there is a cover under the engine/box that you remove to gain access to the flywheel and (they say) you can lock it with a screwdriver in the starter ring using a bolt as a fulcrum. Well I have no such cover on mine, the gearbox and engine are one-piece castings in that area with no removeable bits at all. The only glimpse of the starter ring I can get is if I remove an engine brace then I can just about see it but not onough to get anything in (certainly not the service tool). I'm guessing the tool can only be used when the engine and box are split? I've resisted the inevitable temptation to use the crankshaft timing pin (misleadingly called a locking pin in some references) to lock it as this wouldn't take the torque required (it is oh so tempting though!).
Does anyone have any advice on how to lock it sufficiently to remove/replace the pulley nut?
1998 1.9 Dti Locking crankshaft for belt change - Screwloose

The usual method is to use a hammer-gun - that doesn't need the engine locking.

Can you hire a rechargeable one?
Do you mean a normal impact wrench? I have a big compressor and wouldn't mind an excuse to buy one more tool!
1998 1.9 Dti Locking crankshaft for belt change - Screwloose

Ah well; that's different.

If you've got 150lbf/sq/in available, then buy yourself the best gun that you can and some nice impact sockets. Don't skimp on the hose though; 1/2in is best - big guns need their air.
Excellent! What a bonus, I get to buy a nice shiny new air tool!

Thanks Screwloose, I'll give it a go.