Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - redils
Being a lover of my own E46 328i SE I have just been chatting with a local garage mechanic who has a customer who has owned the same model of car from new that has covered a whopping 276,000 miles with no engine work carried out on it just serviced at the required intervals. I guess mine is just run in at 110,000....LOL.

Any more site members have any high mileage car stories?
Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - Statistical outlier
I claimed the other day to have been in a friends Citroen BX diesel which was at a genuine 270k miles. I must apologise for misleading the backroom, it is actually at 290k miles!!

Edited by Gordon M on 24/11/2008 at 17:06

Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - CJay{P}
cooling systems are the weak points in this engine - if the coolant is regularly changed, there is nothing to worry.

Incidentally, do have a look at your sub frame. The early E46s, especially the larger 6 cylinder engined cars suffer from this problem. AFAIK, dealers still repair this as a goodwill gesture.
Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - redils
cooling systems are the weak points in this engine - if the coolant is regularly
changed there is nothing to worry.
Incidentally do have a look at your sub frame. The early E46s especially the larger
6 cylinder engined cars suffer from this problem. AFAIK dealers still repair this as a
goodwill gesture.

What would be the coolant system weakness & the problem to the subframe? All I know of any problem on the 2.8i was made reduntant when the E46 came out with steel liners instead of alloy ones. Other than servicing/wearable items & cleaning/polishing products I have not had to spend a peny on my BMW something that would have been great of the many cars previously I had owned, also the build quality & solidity is something I had not experienced before.

redils
Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - Avant
There are some other experiences here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=45...7
Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - Cliff Pope
When I posted on that thread 2 years ago my Volvo had covered 355,000 miles. It's now done 407,000.
But it's not unbelievable, just what you would expect from a decent car.
Unbelievable high mileage cars/BMW 2.8i - Rattle
Late uncle had a 1.6 Pinto Siera which had around 470k on the clock. I remember the drivers seat back rest had snapped so he just took it off and drove with no back!!!! He would buy two identical cars for around £100 and then keep it for a long time with just spanner work.