2003 2.2dci Oil use - Gary Rudland
Th story so far, and not an uncommmon one by the look of it.
Whilst driving one day it when into limp mode by with a complete lack of power, which made it undriveable. The garage found the EGR valve completely block and they cleaned it, all seemed well for about one week. Then on starting the car one day there was a large cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust, I drove the car for about 10 miles when it went into limp mode again, I diped the oil and found it was very low on oil, refiled and all was OK except now wen under hard acceleration the cas behind disapears and the sump empties of oil. Back to the garage who say the EGR valve has failed completely this time and repace it. How ever the car still uses oil (about 2 ltr per 80 mile) and smokes under moderate to hard acceleration. There is also some black oil on top of the engine by the breather pipe near the injectors.
So people, any ideas as I am no far from the gallon of petrol and a match option, but I like the car (I know some of us are mad) and would like to sort this problem but after £800 and no resolution a trade in looks the best option.

Edited by Webmaster on 23/11/2008 at 12:28

2003 2.2dci Oil use - Screwloose

Check if the breather hoses are blocked; if not, I'd begin to wonder about the turbo.

There is a chance that this could end in a diesel runaway and red-hot bits of engine scattering down the road - take care.
Many thanks, I will look at them and let you know.
2003 2.2dci Oil use - Collos25
Thats seriously like the turbo is sucking in engine oil if I were you I would not run it have taken to a proper renault garage you could be one step away from total engine failure.
Hi Folks,
Just a small update.
I took the car straight to our local garage as the nearest Renault dealer is about 20 miles away. Whilst under test it looks like the turbo did its best to shred the engine so now lots of smoke, lots of strange noises and a £3500 repair bill. If I had not been there I may of had a case for a good argument, but they just put it on the computer and started the engine.
Where next, well I may sell for spares or bite the bulit as a car is for life and not just for Xmas, and pay for the repair as it is still cheaper than a new car.
2003 2.2dci Oil use - Screwloose

Given that both of us came up with the same warning; it should have been plain to any competent garage that the risk of a runaway was high.

Why didn't they check the breathers first before revving the engine? You may have a good case against the garage for negligence.