'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - AllFumbs
It's time for a 'new' car and am persuaded to go Japanese, for reliability. (An earlier post will show one route I'm considering is a quiet, 'serene-at-seventy' sort of car.)

Or for a more mainstream choice a little homework has pointed me in the way of the Honda Civic. I'd like an automatic. My budget will probably fetch me a 2001 to 2003 example. It'll be used mostly for daily 50-mile m'way round-trips at 70: no speed-merchant, I. Which engine-size is likely to be the quietest (or is there little in it)? Sorry if this seems petty but I have damaged hearing and a noisy car worsens it markedly.

However, my main question stems from an observation borne of many years' bemused-but-not-bitter experience: everything I buy goes wrong immediately thereafter. So please do your Civic duty and warn me what to expect in the way of instantaneous calamity. For instance, I've never owned a car with a catholic converser (as a dear, aged aunt so vividly dubbed it): when do those tend to fail on the Civic and how much do they cost to replace?

All ominous prognostications will be most welcome. (They're going to happen, anyway).

Yours cheerily,

AF.
'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - Lygonos
You will be disappointed with road noise. The 96-01, and 01-05 Civics have double wishbone rear suspension that makes them very noisy on motorways unless the tarmac is brand new.

Did 70k miles in a '00 Civic and although it was extremely reliable, and the VTec is a hoot, I'd not recommend it for a "serene" driving experience.

I'd suggest a 2.0 SE auto Accord which is a good deal quieter, or a 2.5 auto Subaru Legacy. Avoid variants with 17" alloys.

Other models worth a look if you can find: Toyoya Camry, and Nissan QX (hens' teeth).

Edited by Lygonos on 23/11/2008 at 03:16

'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - Chrome
96-01 These are common amongst the yoof town centre-ites. About the only thing I can think of is that the car will grow wide wheels, gain a big-bore back box and a THUDDING stereo system to match. Oh and the front seat should be rammed right back with the back at a relaxed angle too..........
'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - Saltrampen
Things that can go wrong on 01 - 06 Civics
1. Air Con radiator can leak as takes the brunt of road debris and is not well protected.
Check this is working!

2. Juddering in traffic jams due to throttle cable problems (easily solved).

3. Rear wheels get misaligned easily by kerbing and needs experienced person to get alignment exact..even some Honda dealers struggle. Once out of line, handling and comfort much worse....Check for drift on test drive.

4. Suspension drop links on rear and bushes on front take a battering from speed humps and will clonk / twitch.

5. 1.6 VTEC engine can sound like a load of blocks quietly being tossed around in a plastic tub between 2000 - 3000rpm under load, due to slight variations (within tolerance) in piston ring sizes. Some examples worse than others.

6. As mentioned road noise / confort - Unless you get the most comfortable tyre and suspension / alignment is spot on, will tramline and be noisy and may get unbearable on long journeys.

7. The Soundproofing is better on the 04 makeover as well as other things, so if you can stretch to that model, worth it.

8. Brakes - rear calipers can stick, Brakes can squeak badly at 75% wear or more - perhaps now better with newer asbestos free pads, rather than original asbestos free pads.

9. Heating Vent director slides can pop off.

10. Squeaky clutch - may need release bearing lubrication.

11. No outside temp indicator on non exec versions pre 04.

12. Flat underneath means can get boomy in certain conditions.

13. My one struggled to keep my feet warm below 5deg C even with the heating full on blowing hot air.

Edited by Saltrampen on 24/11/2008 at 13:35

'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - john96
So what have you bought, if anything?
'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - Stryder
I have had an X reg Civic (previous generation, one of the first examples).
It is Japanese made not UK made, which means some parts are different e.g. rear wiper blade, brakes and so might be a bit more expensive and difficult to get hold of.

My car has 9K service intervals; I think UK made examples are 12K service intervals.

I've had my car for 5 years 55K miles and it's been ok. The only none consumable part I have had to replace was the exhaust oxygen sensor after I had the car for 2 years. The previous owner used the car for school runs, which may have caused it's premature demise.

I have a VTEC 1.6 SE 5 door and get 38 MPG on my fast A road commute. On short journeys I think the MPG is not so good.

I recommend you get one with air con - the car steams up very easily.
'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - Leo the Lion
I'm going to look over a V reg Civic tomorrow: 1.4L, 5 door, air con, leather interior etc, 88000 miles. Anything I need to be aware of, apart from what has been said above?

thanks

Paul
'01 Civic: what to expect to go wrong? - Lygonos
Make sure the heater works on all 4 speed settings (common failure can leave only high speed working).

Rear suspension parts invariably wear out by this mileage as it has double wishbones - if there are recent receipts for repairs it should be ok, otherwise might be worth getting an MOT tester to look at the links/joints.

Rear exhaust section rots like a fiend just in front of the final silencer.

It should start, run, stop, and change gear with almost no evidence of being a 9yr old car.