Good deal? - stunorthants26
Me and the misses just popped into the dealer, just being nosey. Anyhow, had a look at an i10, she likes it. Anyway, salesman was very helpful, said he would get some quick figures for finance and to me, they sounded a bit too good to be true.

They have a demo 1.2 Comfort auto, in silver on a 58 plate with 1000 miles on it.

The figures were: £169 pm for 36 months with £182 final payment and £2000 for my misses Picanto. Now, I couldnt for the life of me work out how he did it for that money but I asked him twice and he said they were correct.

We are test driving it on Monday and he is going to go through the workings with me but Im a bit baffled.
Good deal? - bostin
Assuming that the Picanto is worth £2000, it looks as if the dealer is offering you the equivalent of RRP at 0% on a new one! Or am I missing something?!
Well to get to his figure, it valued the i10 at £8100 with 0% interest over the 36 months - the advertised price is £8495 so I guess its possible he lopped some off before he gave me the figures to make them look good - maybe advertised at a cheeky price to start with but he did say that even getting an auto 1.2 is difficult and I can well believe it having read about delivery times on them, so why so keen?

I saw out the corner of my eye on his valuation guide on his comp that a 20k Picanto like ours was £2175 so his offer doesnt seem ungenerous.

The only problem is, our Daihatsu dealer has a Sirion 1.3 SE auto with delivery miles for £8495 - if they could get in the region of the Hyundai deal, it would be a real draw. Im not sure they could, but in these troubled times and knowing the dealer, they would sure try, they have in the past when ive bought from them.

Anyon driven the 1.2 auto?
Good deal? - ole cruiser
Poor little Picanto- you do seem to be going to some lengths to swap it. I don't know anything about the i10, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend 6,000 pounds extra to get one in place of a 20k-mile Picanto.
even getting an auto 1.2 is difficult >>

And getting an auto Picanto, or any small car, is difficult too - or it was when we were looking. I guess your man is (a) confident that he can turn round the Picanto at a profit, perhaps higher than he will get on a new small car, but also (b) selling you a Hyundai at a rather amazing price for used. What's the finance deal actually worth, even ignoring interest rates likely to go down to 1% or possible debt deflation? It would all be too complicated for me
Not really great lengths - we were bored and having read the good reviews on the Hyundai, we thought we would have a look - 4pm on a saturday, the dealership had zero customers - spooky, not seen it like that before at that dealer - usually cant talk to anyone for a half hour atleast.
My misses has been saying that now she is more confident driving, she is ready to move up in performance terms, esp since she now drives solo to Norwich once a month and wants something with more low-down kick, plus the oil seal failure has knocked her confidence in her Kia now, whether thats warranted is open for debate. She has also had a very nice payrise following promotion.

Our Picanto doesnt have 20k, it has nearly 37k - the price on the screen was £2175 for a 20k so I thought that for a 37k car, just £175 less was not bad at all - they do have a Kia dealer in the chain mind you so it wouldnt need to be traded out, he said as much.

The finance deal he seems to offering is 0% interest for 3 years. The price of the car is about on the money for a hard to get hold of model with demo miles. Its about as good as you will find on an i10.
Good deal? - alex

If the VAT rate is cut (see the current online headlines on telegraph.co.uk and thetimes.co.uk) it will mean lower car prices provided you wait until the announcement on Monday.
Well we wont be making a decision until atleast next weekend as we will be making sure the dealers sweat a bit before we sign up.

Thanks for the info.
Good deal? - jbif
Poor little Picanto- you do seem to be going to some lengths to swap it.

Going by past threads, stunorthants [and family] with his penchant for chopping and changing cars [which he buys to keep for 10 years or more] is the bedrock of keeping the motor trade alive in this recession. ;-)

Stu - Hang on for a few more days/weeks before you sign the deal, because the dynamic duo Darling-Brown are likely to help you spend a little less in VAT and give people on minimum-wages some tax breaks at the same time. Watch for the news announced after the mini-budget this Monday 24th.

Edited by jbif on 22/11/2008 at 22:51

Hey, my family arent that bad - My dad decided to keep his Astra, my sister is in her 3rd year with her Vitara and my mum is approaching 4 years with her Hyundai. I admitedly have chopped and changed a bit of late but I kept my Suzuki van for nearly 3 years and I have no plans to change my Daihatsu, Im quite settled with it. Im not spending a penny in this possible transaction, this is all my other half, im just an advisor - best place to be!

Any ideas what sort of change could be announced?
Good deal? - Lygonos
Im not spending a penny in this possible transaction, this is all my other half, im just an advisor <<

She'll be spending approx. £8000 (payments + PX) over the next 3 years to end up with a 3 yr old tiny automatic (The car she has at present is a 3.5yr old tiny automatic?) that'll be worth about £2000. Cost: £6000.

If she spends nothing and keeps the Kia, in 3 yrs she'll have a 6yr old automatic worth Cost: £1000 depreciation on the Picanto.

That means over the next 3 yrs, having the i10 needs to be worth £5000 to her.

Peace of mind can be had with an aftermarket warranty if necessary, and still leave a fat chunk of cash that could be spent on something else.

What about holding off a few weeks and see if perhaps a 50% off deal (like the Dodge Avenger/Kia Magentis) becomes available on an automatic.

Although your gaffer seems to prefer tiny cars, I generally note that when ladies get a bit of confidence in a medium size car, they feel (and are) much more safe on the road.

Just my 2p.
She has already decided its affordable to her but as I said to her, she has to keep it for the 5 year warranty period for it to make sense and to get her moneys worth.

Your not likely to get a 50% off deal on a car that is in very short supply. She doesnt want anything much bigger than a Fiesta at best and not more than £8500, plus it must be a proper auto. She is pretty well set on the two cars she likes which are both decent small cars.

Good deal? - tintin01
Have you driven the Sirion? My OH tried both and much preferred the Hyundai to drive. He felt the Sirion was too light. I thought the Sirion had lots of nice touches - six cup holders I think - but the price was quite a bit higher than the Hyundai. In five years times, these little cars will not be worth much so it seemed daft to spend a lot on one. You can get an 08 Vectra for £6,500, so we felt it kind of defeated the point to spend £8k on a heavily depreciating asset.
Good deal? - Lygonos
she has to keep it for the 5 year warranty period for it to make sense and to get her moneys worth.

Seen plenty of anecdotal evidence that the 5-7 yr warranties are often pretty useless, with huge amounts of exemptions, after the first 2-3 yrs.

Other than a mechanical failure of engine or gearbox, you'll find clutches/suspension/wheel bearings/electrics/ICE/etc a lottery on whether or not you'll get repairs done under warranty.

The extra years of warranty also tie you in to dealership servicing for the duration, but as far as I know, most of them ARE transferrable to furture owners, so might make a private sale easier than a car with no warranty (unless your boss keeps her car for 5-7yrs which seems, um, less than definite ;-))
As far as I know, the warranty doesnt have huge amounts of exemptions - we havent come across such things with my mums Hyundai. However, we have looked at the service plan available and going for the 5 year plan, it covers everything aside from brake pads and tyres, so anything that the warranty doesnt cover, the service plan would.

Which cars have had trouble with warranty claims on 5/7 year warranties, the instances that you refer to?

>>You can get an 08 Vectra for £6,500<<

Id rather walk personally! Since my misses will only drive small cars, no sense in getting a Vectra that she wouldnt want to drive. Its not really about the money, if she can afford it, thats all that matters.

She is pretty well decided on the i10 now - she likes the Sirion but she prefers the dashboard and controls on the Hyundai, plus the boot in the Hyundai is, if you remove the underfloor storage bit, somewhat bigger. She also prefers the firm seats in the i10.

Shall have to see what she makes of driving it tomorrow.
Good deal? - nick1975
Are you get a decent value on the Kia. Seem to be offered at £3-4k on AT. This used to be one of the least depreciating cars out there. £2k seems low.
Good deal? - MikeTorque
stu, as a reference, drivethedeal are offering the i10 1.2 Comfort 5dr auto for £8093.73.
>>drivethedeal are offering the i10 1.2 Comfort 5dr auto for £8093.73<<

Is that price with 0% interest though? Otherwise its gonna be expensive on finance.
Well it depends how you look at it really. Some guides put it at up to £2.5k but others as low as £2k.
Also, its worth remembering that while dealers are offering Picantos at £3-4k on AT there is nothing to say they are selling for that if they sell at all and most of the automatic ones are low mileage, unlike ours, so I would hazard a guess it will be a bit harder to shift and I think the value is fair really - I was expecting around £2k.
Good deal? - nick1975
true enough. You dont need to convince me ;-)

i suspect you have decided already hat you want to do and the numbers are close enough to apply man maths!

given the value on the kia, i think you would be crazy not to just keep it now. why tie yourself to finance in these current economic types. Especially to change from a Picanto to a i10!

but hey different strokes for different folks.
Good deal? - MikeTorque
It's their cash price, not sure what their finance deal price is. Your 0% deal beats DTD price costed over 3 years but check the small print of the finance deal you're being offered.
Good deal? - MikeTorque
Bear in mind the i10 auto will use more fuel compared to the manual 1.2 and the emissions of CO2 for the auto are 139 compared with 119 for the manual, hence VED more expensive for the auto, also performance is significantly slower for the auto compared to the manual.

Overall running costs for the auto will be more expensive than a manual 1.2.
Unfortunatly the dealer couldnt get the car back for us to drive it this morning - was due back two days ago so he assumed it would be there but it hadnt shown up, so he has promised it to us for th entirety of Sunday opening hours now, which is a nice way to test a car anyway, better than a half hour drive.

We know about the economy, still if it does low 40's we would be happy with that and the emissions mean road tax wont exceed £120 in the next three years, which is acceptable as its the same band as the Picanto.

You might say its slower - your right, but its 0-60 is 14.4 whereas my misses car is I think 18.5ish, so thats quite a leap. She doesnt want a fast car, just not one that is so obviously gutless and ive read that the 1.2 is quite torquey.

We are still working out the finance bit as he has raised the P/X value to £2.5k and said he thought it would be easy to sell, even as things are, so we havent got to a final price yet as I feel there is still some pushing to do.

Anyone has any experience of payment protection for unemployment? We have been offered it, covers you for a years worth of payments after an initial 30 days unemployed, for £20 a month extra - seems alot but in these troubled times, also sensible? Or are there big catches?
Good deal? - oilrag
"also sensible?"

If you have to change, why not buy a new galvanised Panda for £5,200 and put some money into driving lessons for a manual Stu?
£8,000 sounds an awful lot of money and risk for what basically sounds very similar to what your partner has currently.

Good luck with it all. But what happened to the 10, or was it 15yr plan?
;)
Good deal? - jbif
But what happened to the 10, or was it 15yr plan?

And to all the criteria you were applying just a few weeks ago:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68776&...f
"Y-reg Focus 1.6 Zetec 3dr auto with 20k on the clock - seen it in the flesh and it is mint cond, nice history, looks like a good-un"
"Misses wants to trade in her 35k Picanto LX auto (54 plate ) for the lowest cost to change poss"
"Well the misses has sat in it now and she likes it rather alot."
"we cant trade it in without fixing it and I dont see the point of fixing it for someone else to benefit! "
"my misses was only looking to spend an extra £750 or so over her cars trade in value"

None of my business but I can't help making the following comments/observations [I blame this interference in your money affairs due to the fact that I have now and again given time at a local CAB to counsel people with debt problems]:
Stu: IMO, You and wife need to wean yourselves off your expensive car buying hobby.
Try to persuade your wife not to borrow to buy a car when she will have negative equity in the car as soon as she walks out of the showroom with her name on the V5. As you make about the minimum wage rate of £6 an hour*, IMO it is not ideal to borrow money in these difficult economic times.
How many cars have you and/or the wife changed/bought since 2007, and how much have those changes cost in depreciation over that time?.
Anyway, your money, your choice.

* www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=58...6
"I only earn £800 a month so those little savings by not running a bigger car do make a difference to me, I know they seem small to those who earn much more, but from my perspective, every penny counts. "

Edited by jbif on 24/11/2008 at 12:12

I plan to keep my car for a while, how long who knows.

What my misses does with her money is really up to her, she can afford it, it doesnt eat into her considerable savings, so I see no problem with it as it still leaves her with hundreds of £££ left over each month.
She didnt buy the Focus for many reasons and having seen that it wouldnt cost her too much to buy a new car and thus no hassle, she has decided that suits what she wants more than another used car.
My earnings have zero to do with my fiancee's finances - Im not buying the car, that I made quite clear to her!
Its also worth bearing in mind that we will never have to pay a morgage.

Cars since 2007 - 3, Subaru was a mistake, loved it but hated running costs, Picanto has been fine, stuck 7k on it but finances have since improved and my misses is now self-funding - she works now a 55 hour week and she said she deserves something nice for herself as a reward and she is now driving 14k a year.
Daihatsu Charade, still got it, 10k added and still loving it. Incidentally, most of the money for cars was given, so theoretically, its actually only cost me £3000 of my own money that I earnt, on cars over the last 3 years.

Re Fiat Panda: No proper autobox, warranty is too short ( only two years manuf ) and customer service is poor. Fiat have no confidence in their products longevity or they would warrant against failures and they know better than me! As such, Id never put my money in one. Otherwise a nice car though.
Good deal? - nick1975
I bet you are sick of people trying to tell you how to organise your life!

I guess it?s because you are such a popular contributor to this forum, and have been so open about your circumstances in the past, that the rest of us really want the best for you.

Just to give you my thoughts, I think what people find a little odd about your story is the fact that you have changed cars at least 3 times since 07 (wasn?t there an old rover also?) yet by your own admission, you work to a pretty tight budget.

Most of us on here recognise that the biggest motoring cost is depreciation and that is felt most painfully when you chop and change frequently.

I think also its quite an odd attitude to write off money that has been given to you as less significant then money you have earned. Not meant as a personal criticism of you, but I think this is quite an immature attitude to be honest. Ditto the comment regarding your wife?s money being her own. I understand the point, but I don?t really agree with it. I?m sure if you suddenly had to stop work she would help support you and no doubt vice versa. I also seem to recall you mentioning kids in the future, which makes this even more the case.

And then there is the car choice, you are proposing to change from a perfectly good, newish Eastern box to another one pretty much the same, albeit slightly newer. That?s strikes me as a bit odd.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide, and I look forward to you next post in 6 months, asking what to trade the i10 in for (joking!!).
Haha, popular isnt the word id use, but hey, I gotta be me :-) I do atleast love cars!

In the last ten years, I have owned over 50 cars, most of them bangers it has to be said, sometimes 3 at a time!
I dont so much think its immature, I just believe that once you make a bad decision which the Subaru and Rover were, you must accept that and move on. many folk here have bought the wrong cars, its part of the game.

Sometimes, you have to do something nice for yourself and my misses just gota payrise today - and a speeding ticket apparently - oh dear, lecture on its way to her!
Good deal? - oilrag
Stu, you wrote this, in this thread on 22 Nov.
"She has also had a very nice payrise following promotion."

On 24th Nov, you wrote
"my misses just gota payrise today"

Are you winding us up? albeit in a nice kind of way?

(written with amused respect)
;)

Good deal? - jbif
Stu, you wrote this, in this thread on 22 Nov. ...

If you look back at Stu's threads, you will find lots of inconsistencies, some of them Stu usually explained away by "changed my mind".
Are you winding us up? albeit in a nice kind of way?

;-)
Yes, you would think "classic example of either a troll or a Walter-Mitty character", but I suspect oilrag's assessment is the right one in that it is probably Stu only winding us all up in a nice kind of way!
:-)

Good deal? - ole cruiser
and a speeding ticket apparently>>

Quite strong juju running here: the Picanto did not take kindly to being called "g****ss", not one bit he didn't.
Seriously, I think what surprises your friends here (yes!) is that, if the Picanto isn't up to the job, the deficiency is really going to be made up by moving to an i10, which has only slightly bigger holes in the engine and will have many of the same part numbers as the Picanto (same oil seal, perhaps?).
Similarly, if you plural want to buy a brand new car for a bit of fun, then I am surprised you should consider paying more-or-less top dollar for something that has been given the runaround for 7 weeks by every salesman, apprentice, parts man and service client. How many times has it been touched up/repaired/wiped over with a gritty rag in that time? Is it really that much of a catch?
Why not (a) take the nice long test drive, (b) tell the salesman you would probably want a different colour or something, (c) tell yourselves and us how it really stacked up and (d) revisit the issue in 3 or 6 months?
My misses has had two pay rises recently as due to staff movements, she has been able to move up to fill in someones position that she was being groomed for. The first payrise was due to her lasting 13 wks employment and everyone gets that, the second was due to her promotion which had been suggested earlier, but werent sure if it would happen.

It does rather amuse me that people spend alot of their time trying to discover inconsistancies - circumstances change, advice is taken on board etc. I know there are older folk here who are stuck in their ways and the concept of change and looking at things afresh is beyond them now, but its ok, us younger folk understand it happens to everyone eventually :-)

Not sure why a 4 year old Picanto would have the same engine parts as an i10 which has a supposedly new engine. Well the media reports on the 1.2 i10 say its new anyway.
The performance difference is the same as that between my Charade and a BMW 320i - so unless your suggesting that there is no difference between them, then Im not entirely sure what your point is - the i10 is alot faster than the Picanto, just not fast in the grand scheme of things.

We havent signed up for this car yet, we have it for a day, I can assure you, it will be well examined! I certainly will post our findings back - we are hoping to do atleast 150 miles in it if not a few more. The car is used as a service loan car from what I gather but im sure after 1000 miles it has plenty of life left, condition remains to be seen.
Good deal? - ole cruiser
Quick grovel here.
>>an i10 which has a supposedly new engine. >>
Yep, it's DOHC, new bore, new stroke, bhp up, torque up (though max is at higher revs, as you would expect from a 16-valver); so it looks a little cracker. Anyway, not a word further from me until you tell us what it was like on the road.
I will be sure to post a comprehensive road test on the auto as it would seem few will ever drive it given its rarity.
I am wondering, maybe someone here knows, how closely related the 1.1 Picanto engine is to that in the early i10? I have read that the 1.1 auto I10 is very sluggish, which suggests to me that it is one in the same engine - the 0-60 of the i10 1.1 auto is 17.9 so its nearly as slow as the Picanto.
Ok, we have driven the i10 auto.

To put it bluntly, we have had it a couple of hours and we have seen more than enough to tell us we couldnt live with the thing.

Engine and gearbox, lovely, cant fault it in that respect. The auto is smooth and responsive, engine is quiet even under load.

Our gripes centre on the steering which took alot more effort than normal to keep it smooth, presumably an electric setup, which my misses couldnt get on with. Lack of decent self-centering also annoyed.

Even without that though, the boneshaking ride was intolerable. Very disappointed.

We also got a chance to drive the Sirion auto today which was everything that i10 isnt.
The ride was cosseting and the steering was smooth, well weighted but still direct.
Doesnt feel as fast as the i10, but that is most likely because it feels more isolated from the road - the sensation of speed was much less in the Sirion than the i10.

Needless to say, we wouldnt touch an i10 with a bargepole now, so its between the Sirion and Myvi, with an outside chance of Getz auto which is being sold off at £8295 brand new.
Good deal? - ole cruiser
Thanks for the interesting report on the i10. All the manufacturers seem to be going for electric PAS now - I suppose for emissions/economy- but a number of reviewers seem to find it a bit disconcerting.
I didn't get on with the Getz because it felt cramped, despite being in fact a bigger car than the Picanto; a less upright driving position, I guess.
You don't seem to have had much feedback on your Sirion vs Myvi issue. When we were looking, about two years ago, HJ was pushing the Myvi on repeated Saturdays as a cheap but good conventional auto, and so indeed we found it on a test drive. But at that time there seemed to be a special price reduction and, if I recall correctly, it was several thousand pounds cheaper than the Sirion, not just one. As noted by others on an earlier thread, it was disconcerting that the Perodua website seemed (even then) to be devoid of life and that the "brochure" was a many-times photocopied sheet.
Not sure if I really want the answer, but was the ride on the i10 better or worse than on the Picanto?
We tried the Getz, liked it but compared to the Sirion/Myvi, it feels very old hat inside and in the end, it couldnt compete as it was equal on some fronts, but behind on everything else.
The dealer was offering finance at 5.1% which seemed ok, not sure what the standard is at the moment.

The Myvi is, with the curent deal they have on, about £2500 cheaper than the Sirion normally, but we have a pre-reg one on offer to us for £8500 so that brings it within £1k of it.
I am seeing the Perodua dealer tomorrow so I will post up where I get with that one as the salesman promised he would beat any deal offered to me finance wise, confident of it too he was.

I did speak to the Perodua salesman about the Perodua website which he agreed was a joke but he has the up to date info - there is a better one which my misses found, more up to date.

The ride on teh i10 was much worse than the Picanto - in teh i10 you feel every ripple in the road whereas the Picanto you felt the sharper bumps but it is fairly smooth most of the time, but not in the same league as the Sirion. I did wonder if the Myvi, with its steel wheels and perhaps taller tyres will ride even better than the Sirion given the detrimental effect alloys and low profile tyres usually have on ride quality.
Another worthy note on the i10 is that it sufferes terribly with tyre roar, maybe different tyres will be better.
Good deal? - oilrag
"In the last ten years, I have owned over 50 cars,"

"older folk here who are stuck in their ways and the concept of change and looking at things afresh is beyond them now"

I looked afresh ;)
I make that a new car every 10 weeks and 4 days....
;)

Edited by oilrag on 25/11/2008 at 13:07

Tee hee. Years back I used to run 2 or 3 cars as one was my work van, one was my car and one was my misses car. My personal cars usually I bought with new MOT's, ran them for 6 months and sold either for what they cost me or a profit as I bought cosmetically untidy but mechanically sound, so as a valeter, I could polish a few £££s into them.

New cars that ive owned have usually been kept 3 years. I kept my Matiz for nearly 3 years and 55k, so I have it in me to keep cars, plus my van I kept for 2.5 years too altho never did the miles in that.
If I keep my Charade longer than 3 years, that will be a record :-)
Good deal? - movilogo
Anyone has any experience of payment protection for unemployment?

If you search in MoneySavingExpert forum, you'll realize they are not so good. There are so many way out clauses that it is often difficult to get a compensation!
Good deal? - runboy
stunorthants26 - I too was amused by the detective work carried out on you. They do say big brother is watching us!

I love cars. I would love to change more than I do. I like gadgets. Sometimes my circumstances change and I will spend a few months researching the net and magazines for what I would consider the perfect car. Autotrader is an intersting (and dangerous place) to while away an hour or so looking at what car you could get for your budget.

Some people see a car as a means of A to B. In my mind I find it strange that anyone would want to buy a base model car with very little or no gadgets/comforts as I see them in my book. But people do as we are all different.

We had an i10 on order for months and got to neary delivery then changed our minds due to circumstances which cropped up. The Hyundai dealer was fantastic in understanding and allowed us to cancel and refunded our deposit. How many would have done that? But in time our circumstances will change and we will have an small car added to our family motor.

Good luck with the i10 - we loved it and are sorry we never got to have ours.