04 TDI Belt or chain. - J500ANT
This weeks Beano (sorry, I mean Auto Express, though the former is probably more factual) has a Used Car test on the mk5 Golf. It says when talking about servicing and running costs "while all diesels and most petrol engines are chain driven so there's no need for a fresh cambelt"

Is this correct? I thought they were all on a belt, and a 40k change interval at that!
04 TDI Belt or chain. - 659FBE
All VAG PD diesels built in '04 have a belt driven camshaft. The belt requires routine replacement and it is very strongly recommended that the tensioner, idler and water pump are replaced at the same time.

04 TDI Belt or chain. - J500ANT
Does that apply to all from 04-08, 1.9 or 2.0?

I'd like to remonstrate with the muppets at AE over this, and would like to get my facts straight. Especially as changing the belt, tensioner, idler and water pump isnt going to be cheap.

(Makes note to trade Jetta in before the belt replacement is due)
04 TDI Belt or chain. - glowplug
It's heartwarming to see it's not just Citroens they know nowt about!

Their lack of descrimination is commendable.

Steve.
04 TDI Belt or chain. - Screwloose

Perhaps it would be better to say that all Mk V diesels and most petrols are belt.

The FSi are chain - but the pistons won't last long enough to ever need one.
Hi Screwloose,

Could I ask exactly what you do for a living? I've checked your profile but there's nothing there.

Purely out of curiosity, it's just that you seem pretty well up to speed on vehicles problems, a bit like 'Ear to the Ground' in Car Mechanics.

Steve.
Steve

I'm now a diagnostic consultant on engine-management faults for, mostly, independent garages and dealerships. I started out on my own as an auto-sparks - many decades ago - but you tend to drift....

The body/memory/enthusiasm is just about finished now - even getting into a car can be hard on some days - but, generally, I point and they undo. Garages have plenty of labour; it's the knowledge they lack.

Ah yes; "Car Mechanics" - we were all having a good laugh about the disastrous advice they recently gave a DCi owner. Should be shut down - although it was a good read in the early '70s..
Hi,

Thanks for the tip about CM. I'm in the process of buying a Lexia with which I'm hoping to learn some bits and pieces about ECUs and BSIs so that I can do as much as possible myself without having to take to car in to a dealer for a suck it and see method of servicing. Should be able to add another keyfob to the car as well. I'm hoping to connect it up to the XM too.

Try not to dash my ambitions too soon!

Steve.
Steve

Although some stuff will still need dealer security codes, a genuine Lexia [not a useless Chinese clone] should be able to do just about everything on all the later Cits. [Some other makes too.]

Make sure that your supplier can maintain a flow of updates and provide proper support - scanners become useless very quickly without the proper UK-based back-up.

If you've got the security pass; you should certainly be able to add keys - although you may find it's not always a breeze on French stuff, even with the right kit.
Hi Screwloose,

Sorry to bother you again. Are clones passed off as genuine? What is the problem with clones? Can they be told apart?

Thanks.

Steve.

I've never tried to tell them apart - but if it's for sale on fleabay, that may be a clue....

Lexia must have a authorized dealer list?
Ah yes. I get your point. I'll ask a member of the Citroen Club where he got his. That should give me time to save up enough...

Steve.
04 TDI Belt or chain. - JohnM{P}
Just to add, the cambelt change interval on my 1.9TDi is 80k, not 40k... gives you twice as long to save up!
04 TDI Belt or chain. - rtj70
But some VAG units needed them changing earlier than originally specified. VAG brought the mileage limit down to 40,000 miles.
04 TDI Belt or chain. - JohnM{P}
Sorry - I didn't wish to start this debate again, honest.!
If you go to your VW dealer with the engine code, they will look it up on their computer system and tell you the belt change interval for that particular engine. For my car it is 80k; I have queried this several times, specifically mentioning this 40k/4 year recommendation; the 40k was only relevant if there was no change interval specified on the computer, I was told.
I will recheck again, as the belt was first changed at 80k and it's now at 114k... I'll repost if the advice has changed.
04 TDI Belt or chain. - TurboD
just depends whether you are a worrier or not. After 40K I used to start sweating at every noise, cracked and had a belt change- ouch, another load of diesel profit down the pan!
04 TDI Belt or chain. - psst
Hi screwloose,re your comment about FSI pistons,,could you elaborate? I had read some comments on FSI engines and sulphur in petrol but i had thought they had applied a fix with ECU software and/or recommended ultra low sulphur petrol? Whats the story and does it apply to all FSI engines?? ( i was looking at one as a replacement for my '92 golf)