1997 2.0 glow plug problems - roverdieseldriver
Hey first post on here, Yesterday i changed 3 glow plugs on my 97 rover 2L diesel. Although a bit futtery i got the job done, How ever now that i have re-connected everything. When i turn my ignition on i get no glow plug light on my dash. I have 12V upto the relay but after that i dont no what is happening. Also there is no 12V at the glow plugs. Any help here would be much appriciated.

Regards
1997 2.0 glow plug problems - mfarrow
This is the direct-injection L-series engine which, like many direct-injection engines, does not need the glow plug for every cold start.

If the engine is starting fine, then I suspect the system is functioning normalling. Best to try it on a frosty morning rather than a mild day like today.

P.S. I don't know what kind of 'auto-sensing' capabilities this engine has. Was the light on all the time before you replaced them?
many thanks for the quick reply, No the car does not start atall any more since i changed the glow plugs.
many thanks for the quick reply No the car does not start atall any more

Then you've mis-placed something. Go back and retrace your steps. Make sure the pump runs and you're getting fuel to the injectors.

Edited by mfarrow on 15/11/2008 at 22:03

yeah i thot i possibly missed something aswell but all i removed was the bridging wire across the glow plugs. there was one issue when i removed my negative wire from the battery it broke the strap from the terminal to the chassy. i managed to re-connect and all seems good. Im getting full dash display appart from the glow plugs, when i re-connect it.

Many thanks for ur patience

Regards
You may still have an earthing problems if that's the case. Try connecting a jump lead from the engine/gearbox to the battery negative terminal and see if that helps.

Electronics can have problems if they don't see the required voltage. We had a 416 (albeit petrol) which refused to start. It was only by running the starter for a longer stint did I notice the starter getting sluggish. New battery cured it.

Again what was the function of the glowplug light before you replaced them? If I'm honest I haven't a clue about this engine so this'll tell us if the current glow plug light behaviour is normal.
1997 2.0 glow plug problems - glowplug
Hi.

Did you try and start it before you found the broken lead? If so it could be that another 'earth' elsewhere has been burnt out in the attempt to start the engine.

A Haynes manual (if they do one) and a multimeter may be your best bet, along with checking ALL the fuses.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Steve.