01 2.5 Avant Quattro - suction noise from engine - raf_man
Looking at buyingthis car, the one that i have seen has a strange noise that can be described as suction noise, it happens when the car is standing and you accelerate and as you let go there is a suction noise coming from the engine. Is this noise normal for this car. I know my friend has a saloon 2.5 tdi and it definitely doesnt make this very obvious noise. Could it be coming from th Turbo, it like air being sucked but it is very loud,

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 14/11/2008 at 23:13

01 2.5 Avant Quattro - suction noise from engine - Peter D
I suggest posting this on www.vwaudiforum.co.uk as well. Has someone fitted a dump valve. ? Regards Peter
thanks, i askd my mchanic, he thinks it could be a hairline crack on a pipe attached to the turbo and it maks th noise when sucking air
01 2.5 Avant Quattro - suction noise from engine - jimbano
Hi,

Obviously, without hearing the noise myself, it can be a bit hard to help you, but i used to work for Audi a couple of years ago, and the noise you describe sounds like a characteristic of this particular engine.

When i first heard the noise, i too thought that there must be a pipe burst/detached, but after investigation into the noise everything was fine and this is just air swirling around within the manifold when you back off the throttle... probably only happens when you accelerate fast and then back off throttle..

I hope this helps
Thanks Jimbano

This does help very much, the car had full Audi Service History and is now due a timing belt change which Audi quoted me £75o and i guess thats without the vibrating damper and the tensioners, my local reputable garage quoted me £720 but that was including the damper and the tensioners. Now I have to use my negotiating skills and get this cost knocked off.

Thanks Guys
Raf
01 2.5 Avant Quattro - suction noise from engine - Altea Ego
buying this car? negotiating skills? Its has an unidentified problem and you know it needs expensive serving.

Don't negotiate - walk - probably run - away.
hi Jimbano

when you refer to this particular engine do you mean the 2.5tdi or the 2.5 tdi quattro engine, are they different? I drove my friends 2.5 tdi 163bhp X reg today, and it didnt make this noise at all. It revved just normally
Thanks Guys
Raf
01 2.5 Avant Quattro - suction noise from engine - jimbano
Hi,

If you say your friends is an X reg, would i be correct in saying that this will be the model before the one that you are looking at... this would possibly explain why you don't hear the noise on the older car, but you do on the newer car,, Although both engines are 2.5tdi, more often than not, there will be major changes to each engine specs like different manifolds etc...

Can you not ask to drive a similar aged 2.5tdi and compare each car? Is it an audi dealer?

Don't think it would matter if it's quattro or not

As i said earlier, i have'nt heard the car in question, so it is hard for me to say wether the car does have a fault or not... But going on what you say about the noise only being there when backing off throttle leads me to believe that this is normal on this engine.

Hope this helps

Edited by jimbano on 16/11/2008 at 18:23

01 2.5 Avant Quattro - suction noise from engine - trickya4
hi i have a 52 reg a4 1.9 tdi and mine makes the same noise. i took mine to the garage to get checked and they said it was normal. i drove a 03 reg and that didnt make that noise but they told me nothing was wrong with mine.