Renewing Photo on licence before it is due - Dr4d
I need to change the address on my driving licence. The Photocard expires in less than a year so I thought it might be worth updating the photo at the same time. On the DVLA website it says 'you can update the photo at any time'. If I update the photo now will they add 10 years on from the expiry date, will it run from when I update the photo, or will it still expire on the original date?
Renewing Photo on licence before it is due - rtj70
I think I would just change the address (which is free) and update the photo when the licence needs renewing. And it needs renewing every 10 years to change the photo.

If you can renew the licence now with a new photo (even though you only need to do it 2 months before its due) I'd say at best you'd get 10 years from the date you get the new licence and not on top of the remainder of the licence validity period. You could always call the DVLA on 0870 240 0009.

Don't you have to pay a fee to renew the photo every 10 years so you'd need to pay now I would have thought.
Thanks for the reply. I believe the fee for the photo is £17.50. I was trying to avoid sending everything off then having to do it all again in a few months. I'm not that keen on all these personal details zipping around the country. I also need a new passport so needed photos done anyway. I'll give them a ring or get a form and see if it gives any info.
Renewing Photo on licence before it is due - rtj70
I'd give the DVLA or one of their local offices a ring personally. You can probably change the photo for £17.50 but you'll lose a couple of months of the 10 years you originally paid for.

If getting a new licence from a change of address is as quick as getting a replacement for a lost licence then I'd still do this. You can probably do online or over the phone (I am guessing). But you'd still need to send the old licence to them before they send the new one but you might avoid part of the workflow that includes scanning documents etc.

When we needed a replacement for my sons licence (lost) the phone call was on the Friday and the licence arrived on the Tuesday! They were doing a print run that weekend we were told.

Edited by rtj70 on 14/11/2008 at 16:54

Thanks again. I gave them a ring and was advised to just update the address now and change the photo when it's due. As you said, I would lose a few months of the 10 years. Was actually quite impressed how quickly they answered the phone. Not so impressed that it was an 0870 number but guess I can't have it all my own way!
Renewing Photo on licence before it is due - Alyn Beattie
DVLA telephone number 01792 782341