When to use grease / lubricant... - Javalin
Hi all,

(strictly a car question ;-) - and not related to any particular model...)

When should you use grease / lubricant (inc wd40) when working on cars? Reason for asking is for example putting wheels back on, or brakes back on - if you grease the bolts/nuts then they'll go on and come off again better, and protect from rust. However you obviously don't want them to come off on they're own!!!

Any good guidelines?

Cheers,

James

Edited by Javalin on 12/11/2008 at 11:36

When to use grease / lubricant... - maltrap
I don't think it's recommended to put grease on wheel studs/bolts. Something to do with torque settings.
When to use grease / lubricant... - OldSock
I don't think it's recommended to put grease on wheel studs/bolts. Something to do with
torque settings.

Well, that might apply under 'laboratory conditions' with clean, perfect threadforms - but I'd welcome greased nuts (sic) if trying to change a wheel on a cold wet night :-(

I would certainly recommend a light smear of anti-seize compound around the wheel centring boss, as many wheel/hub assemblies tend to 'grow together' - even with the fixing bolts/nuts correctly tightened. Trying to kick the wheel off with the car wobbling about on the usual supplied jack is not my idea of fun....
When to use grease / lubricant... - Roger Jones
I wouldn't lubricate wheel bolts. If they are clean and dry, and set at the right torque, they shouldn't be difficult to remove. It's a good idea to remove and refit wheels at, say, six-monthly intervals to check for ease of removal; use a toothbrush and cleaning agent on the threads.

I do use copper grease to stop alloys bonding to the wheel hub.

Otherwise, I'd keep lubricants well away from wheel/brake areas. Other will no doubt disagree, but to me it seems unwise to get these things mixed together.
When to use grease / lubricant... - Number_Cruncher
>>Well, that might apply under 'laboratory conditions'

Thankfully, nature isn't at all selective, and works anywhere, anytime, in a lab, on the street, in the dry, in the rain, etc, etc.

When to use grease / lubricant... - Collos25
"I do use copper grease to stop alloys bonding to the wheel hub."
Correct Rodger
>>Correct

I know it's common practice, but, I wouldn't necessarily call it correct.
When to use grease / lubricant... - DP
Having been the victim of "stuck" wheels before, I understand the benefits of greasing the wheel - hub mating surface.

What concerns my admittedly simple brain however, is the thought that the grease will prevent the wheel from seating perfectly true on the hub. If that's not the case, and the grease is completely squeezed out by the tightening of the wheelnuts/bolts, why bother?

Like I said, my brain's pretty simple.

Cheers
DP
When to use grease / lubricant... - L'escargot
What concerns my admittedly simple brain however is the thought that the grease will prevent
the wheel from seating perfectly true on the hub. If that's not the case and
the grease is completely squeezed out by the tightening of the wheelnuts/bolts why bother?

The mating surfaces are not perfectly flat, and are covered in small high points and low points ~ the maximum variation from true flatness (the "surface finish") is specified on the relevant manufacturing/machining drawing. The variations are very small and may not be visible to the naked eye. The grease will squeeze out where high points coincide and this is where you get the metal to metal contact necessary for the bolts to remain tight. The grease will remain where high points don't coincide, and this prevents corrosion occurring at those points. The overall effect is to prevent corrosion on a certain percentage of the total mating area.

Edited by L'escargot on 13/11/2008 at 07:26

When to use grease / lubricant... - Group B
I would certainly recommend a light smear of anti-seize compound around the wheel centring boss
Trying to kick the wheel off with the car wobbling about on the usual
supplied jack is not my idea of fun..

We had exactly that problem on Saturday night after a bonfire do at my brothers. A relatives Mazda 5 was found with a flat tyre at the end of the night. The steel wheel was stuck fast on the hub and no amount of yanking, kicking, or hitting it with a hammer would free it off. My brother got some WD40 from the shed and that released it.

If it had happened in the middle of nowhere they would have been stuck. It prompted me to put my WD back in the car where I usually keep it.
When to use grease / lubricant... - Andrew-T
>Trying to kick the wheel off with the car wobbling about on the usual supplied jack is not my idea of fun....

Talking about wheel bolts/nuts, this is the important point. There may be reasons why copperslip should not be used here, but the most likely scenario is that when the spare wheel IS called for, the fixings will be impossible to release at the roadside because the owner has not prepared for the possibility for months/years. For that reason alone copperslip may be a good idea.
When to use grease / lubricant... - Andrew-T
>When should you use grease / lubricant (inc wd40)

WD40 should not be thought of as a lubricant - it is volatile and doesn't stay around for long. It is a penetrating oil, and the WD actually means Water Dispersant. It's great for loosening (some) things, but it doesn't really lubricate.
When to use grease / lubricant... - billy25
I was always told only to wirebrush screw or bolt threads, and never to oil or grease, especially if they are being inserted into a "blind" housing, otherwise hydraulic pressure can crack/distort the metal.

Billy
When to use grease / lubricant... - glowplug
Interesting to note that part of the 'head' procedure for the Citroen 2.5 TD is to clean the block threads with a tap and then use a smear of grease on the bolt shaft/head to ensure the torque setting isn't due to friction binding. If it works for a 2.5TD head (16 large bolts) then I'm happy to do the same with the wheel bolts.

Steve.
>>Interesting to note that part of the 'head' procedure

Yes, that's fine for the cylinder head, it's included in the procedure, and the effect of the grease is accounted for in defining the torque - although I suspect it's actually an angle tightening method. You *can't* say that the method is generally applicable, and read across to wheel bolts.

When to use grease / lubricant... - Mapmaker
>>WD40 doesn't really lubricate.

Accurately: WD40 really doesn't lubricate.

In fact, it can cause things to seize. Squirt some into a sticky door lock, and it will dissolve the rubbish... which will be swept around in the lock, the WD40 will evaporate, and the lock will now be seized.

When to use grease / lubricant... - moonshine {P}

You can get 3in1 oil in a spray can - I tend to use that much more than WD40 these days.

I mainly use WD40 for cleaning parts.
When to use grease / lubricant... - Aretas
Don't take it too literally, but many years ago I came across the phrase "It it moves, oil it"

I still think of it when I assemble anything and then apply common sense as to whether action or not.

As far as WD40 goes I am sure I read on this site that if things really are rusted together a proper penetrating oil will work better. I took the advice and found it correct.
When to use grease / lubricant... - zookeeper
Don't take it too literally but many years ago I came across the phrase "It
it moves oil it"

try it on your f button
When to use grease / lubricant... - slowdown avenue
when repling oil filters ,i put smear of grease around the seal. THIS MAKES IT NICE AND EASY TO REMOVE BY HAND NORMALLY
When to use grease / lubricant... - glowplug
On the 2.5 head it's torque followed by angle.

I just think that the pedantic way people look at such relatively minor things is pointless.

How many people check their cars fluid levels and tyre pressures on a weekly basis and lights everyday but then argue about minor maintenance issues?

A smear of copperslip on the wheel bolts does no harm what so ever IMHO.

Steve.
>>On the 2.5 head it's torque followed by angle.

Yes, I thought it would be. It's a completely different fastener, and a different tightening method, a different kind of joint altogether - you can't read across to wheel bolts.

>>I just think that the pedantic way people look at such relatively minor things is pointless.

If I were taking my car into a garage to be worked on, I would expect them to work to the manufacturer's guidelines - that's a large part of what I would be paying for. I would not be happy paying for people to make it up as they go along, however well intentioned.

>>A smear of copperslip on the wheel bolts does no harm what so ever IMHO.

People get away with it because that particular joint is hugely over-designed for normal use. This over design is partially to accomodate the abuse that manufacturers know will happen, but, the abuse may reduce the margin of safety in the joint.

People getting away with it doesn't make it right.

When to use grease / lubricant... - yorkiebar
So the correct manufacturer design is no grease.

Most of the service schedules at main dealers do not include removing the wheels and therefore ensuring the wheels are not seized to the hubs.

So they have designed a system where people will be stuck if they have a puncture?

It is common sense for most independants to remove all wheels at all services and take appropriate action as required (sometimes greasing the contact areas and sometimes oiling the threads if they appear to be used in mud or water etc). That is making it up as you go along? Or what?

As an aside, for those who are suddenly confronted by a stuck wheel and an urgent need to replace it. Loosen all the wheel bolts a lot , but not remove. Jack the car up, then let it down fairly quickly (not dangerously fast) and hopefully it will jar the wheel enough to unseize it. Or with bolts loosened just drive very gently forward and backwards with steering working lock to lock and this should work.

Its not in the textbooks, its not recommended; but it may just get you out of trouble !

Use the advice under your own risk though ! Sorry but I wont adivse it as safe !
As an aside for those who are suddenly confronted by a stuck wheel and an
urgent need to replace it. Loosen all the wheel bolts a lot but not remove.

Ohhh, you cack-handed, heathen grease-monkey

I'll give it a go next time it happens :-)
When to use grease / lubricant... - Ian (Cape Town)
As an aside for those who are suddenly confronted by a stuck wheel and an
urgent need to replace it. >> Use the advice under your own risk though ! Sorry but I wont adivse it
as safe !

I've seen it done.
Not pretty, but effective.
I have also seen the other extreme, some bloke jacking car up, and hammering away with a rubber mallet to try to free a seized hub.
>>So the correct manufacturer design is no grease.

If the car is supplied without grease, and there's no specific mention of grease in the manufacturer's workshop manuals, then, yes!

>>That is making it up as you go along? Or what?

Yes! For a DIYer to do it to his own car is one thing, but, for a garage to deliberately go against the manufacturer's specification on the behalf of a probably technically illiterate and ignorant customer is quite another. If there were ever a problem, the strongest defence available, which is to be able to state that the manufacturers instructions were fully complied with cannot be used.

Does trade indemnity insurance cover apply when the garage are working beyond the manufacturer's repair instructions?

Practically, as these joints are so over-designed, people usually get away with it.

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 14/11/2008 at 12:50

Removing the wheels at service time is against the manufacturers instructions; so hang me (and all the other independants who do it) out to dry !

The wording I used though is "as appropriate". Often removing the wheels at service time is enough to stop them from seizing. If a car is used off road then different needs may arise?

But its either in black and white or its not as far as an engineer goes ?

If its black and white; then I should not remove wheels! Poor service imo; just saving labour time !
>>so hang me...

That wasn't the point of my post YB, just to say that when you do go beyond manufacturer's instructions, you are making engineering decisions for your customer, and taking a larger technical responsibility on your shoulders which may not be covered by your indemnity insurance. I know if I were insuring a garage's work, I would charge a much higher premium to a garage which carried out unauthorised modifications.
Define unauthorised modifications?

Replacing a part with a non oe supplied one (even if itsmade by the same people?)
Greasing a part that has been used under water and has previously seized?
Fitting uprated suspension parts on customers request?
I could go on with examples as you know well!

The reason why wheels arent removed (and therefore generally stick) is because engineers and accountants deem it correct. In the real world its not correct; its just price! If the vehicle tows boats in and out of water on trailers would it not be sensible to grease? But its not in the manufacturers schedule so its wrong?

The reason most people go to independants is becuase of their experience and ability and use of common sense!

Your family garage never had occasion to oil a wheel thread or grease a wheel hub?

Im talking in the real world; not out of the textbooks. Same as laboratory conditions; they rae not the same as happen outdoors on the roads!
>>Define unauthorised modifications?

Any point where you change the vehicle from its specification.

>>Replacing a part with a non oe supplied one (even if itsmade by the same people?)

That depends upon the qualification status of the part, there's a relevant European spec, but I can't remember the number.

>>Greasing a part that has been used under water and has previously seized?

There, you may be in dodgy territory, the safer option would be to replace rather than repair.

>>Fitting uprated suspension parts on customers request?

Again, the qualification status of the parts is relevant, and to protect you, a signed agreement from the customer would be helpful.

>>The reason why wheels arent removed....

There's a balance between under and over maintenance that's really up to the manufacturer to define. In case of abnormal use, the manufacturer should be consulted to obtain revised servicing schedules.

The reason most people go to independants...

because they are a lot cheaper, and a lot easier to deal with than a dealer.

>>Your family garage never had occasion to oil a wheel thread or grease a wheel hub?

Yes, of course we did - in those far from litigious times, we didn't even use a torque wrench to tighten wheel bolts!

>>Im talking in the real world; not out of the textbooks. Same as laboratory conditions; they rae not the same as happen outdoors on the roads!

All this reference to text books and laboratories is very boring and irrelevant. Yes, I do know the theory of bolted joint design, yes, I have applied it *successfully* to solve real safety critical bolt failure problems, none of this is at all removed from reality. It's easy to snipe about the theory, but, it's the science and theory that has given us largely reliable vehicles - relying upon "common sense" would have us still riding about in Morris Minors (the pre-war ones!).

I'm talking about reality in the sense that there's a published specification and by not following it, you are taking a risk.
When to use grease / lubricant... - Ian (Cape Town)
The reason why wheels arent removed (and therefore generally stick) is because engineers and accountants
deem it correct. In the real world its not correct;

BUT on the other end of the scale, where you have hours-per-job, then you see a company-ordained service calls for 0.333 hours to spray a spot of lube to locks and hinges? 20 minutes?
Or 0.33 hours to remove a wheel?

My car, when new, got a 'full monty' service in 4 hrs.
The independent, who used to work the exact same menu of things to do, took an hour and a half.
AND he came back and discussed with me his recommendations of what had to be done soon, before the next service.
He'd worked at the dealers'workshop, and explained how much flannel there was in the billing, and how they took the joe average for a ride.
Fortunately on some marques, motorplan has cut back on this evil, but guaranteed, when you are OUT of guarantee, they will be on you like a pack of hyenas with some spurious work...
When to use grease / lubricant... - Roger Jones
"when repling oil filters ,i put smear of grease around the seal. THIS MAKES IT NICE AND EASY TO REMOVE BY HAND NORMALLY "

It's good practice and, I believe, universally recommended to smear the seal and the sump washer with fresh oil. Whether it eases further removal I am not sure; oil filters, canister tops and sump bolts get overtightened all too often, such is the Spanner Controller's zeal to finish the job good'n'proper with no regard to the low recommended torque settings (20--25Nm being typical).
Quite an interesting thread.... (Groan)