95 2.0 petrol - thirsty automatic - Lachk
Hi all, my thirsty old car is costing me a fortune. I have recently bought it, with 90k on the clock and it drinks petrol like I do beer.

It is currently doing 260 miles on a full tank of fuel. Now I know autos use a lot of fuel but this seems ott.

Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated, because today in heavy traffic I did 42 miles and used a quarter tank.

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 07/11/2008 at 19:17

95 2.0 petrol - thirsty automatic - topbloke
are you baseing this on what the gauge says cos they are only a guide, i would neck it then drive it till it stopped and then check the consumption "miles divided by the amount to refill to the neck, not the amount that you put in " if it was leaking then you would smell it and hopefully if any thing was wrong with the engine management system then you would have a light on, may be worth going to a local garage and ask them to do an emmision test if thats okay then the fuel consumption is what it is "heavy"
95 2.0 petrol - thirsty automatic - shadyarea
Does it get up to temperature quickly, i had one of these many years ago and the thermostat was stuck open.Even when it worked proper was never that economical
sold it and bought a mk2 manual much more efficent.