1997 1.7 Pollen Filter/ Microfilter changing - sally
Hi. I have been quoted over £90 for changing a pollen filter on my car and so decided to do it myself. However, I wondered if anyone could give me any help. I have unscrewed the bottom plastic panel on the drivers side that slots in over the pedals and there is a plastic duct which has been broken off in the past that was just sort of resting up against the side. With this out of the way there seems to be a cubby hole sort of thing but I can't see anything that looks remotely like it is big enough to fit a microfilter in. Any help/pics would be gratefully received and explained as simply as possible (as I'm female and not hugely technical!)

Thanks
1997 1.7 Pollen Filter/ Microfilter changing - elekie&a/c doctor
You're almost there.At the very back of the heater casing is a long rectangular flap with rounded-off corners(vertical) .In the centre you will see a round plastic nut .Turn by hand to remove the flap.The pollen filter is in 2 pieces that slide together to enable access away from the steering column.hth
Thank you - I will try that this evening.
1997 1.7 Pollen Filter/ Microfilter changing - Dynamic Dave
Is the following any help? Nothing listed for the E36 though.

www.puravent.co.uk/filters/display_model.php?MAKE=...W

1997 1.7 Pollen Filter/ Microfilter changing - John S
Two pieces? Seem to remember I had to snap mine (It's designed that way) to get it to bend round the steering column, but it stayed in one piece.

JS
Thanks guys - have managed to cchange the pollen filter - not an easy job! However, although the newly refurbished climate control unit is working the blower is not, and looking on net wondered if it would be the final stage resistor or the blower motor that is faulty. Have had my lovely car for many years now but really don't want to have to go to BMW to get this sorted as it is just too old to warrant it. Any help would be really appreciated. Sally